Exactly the same, only different!

Home Forums General Discussion Exactly the same, only different!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

There have been a few recent posts asking about tops, mirror placement etc which cause me to say:

If you have never been to a car “show” with your TDr, please go. Only seven years ago, I attended my first and was struck with the differences between not only those TDr’s of different manufacturers, but also the differences between those from the same manufacturer. This becomes apparent when you order a new top for your TDr, only to find out that it doesn’t fit.

The tub, the hoods, dashboards, fenders and running boards are different. the tonneau’s are different, the windshields and the chrome grills and the hardware are different….and of course, the drive trains are different.  I’m not talking color here.  Various kits have totally different approaches to the “boot” or the engine cover (VW) or gas tank at the stern.   It seems as if no two are alike.

Additionally, they were kits and as such, were subject to the whims of those who assembled them.

Over the last few months, I have been assisting my friend Jack and the above has become apparent. We recently had a Fiberfab and still have a Daytona and a BCW to compare and refer to as we assembled Jack’s CMC TDr.

To the initiated, only a quick looks and you recognize that it is a TDr.  But you really need to be side by side, and armed with a tape measure to realize that:

They are exactly the same, only different.

Drive safely.  The fender you just crushed is likely irreplaceable.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Royal.
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

“The fender you just crushed is likely irreplaceable.”
    In which case you call Ed to perform the repair or to fab a new one

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Now that WOULD be different.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Love the topic…same but different.

Read through this thread…

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/manufacturer-comparison/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.