Installing pan

Home Forums General Discussion Installing pan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Mefford
    Participant

@smefford

This is probably an easy question for those that have built their car from scratch, but I need to replace the pan under the drivers side (VW Pan).  I can order a pan easy enough, but I have not yet torn out all the carpet to see exactly how the pan ties to the frame.  I’m assuming the pan sets on top of and bolts to the frame, and the glass body sets on top of that so you have to remove the body in order to install the pan.  However, as I indicated, I have not yet pulled out all the carpet and would like to understand better what I am getting into before I do.  Am I correct that I will need to remove the body to replace the pan correctly, or can I somehow replace it without having to pull the body off?

Thanks

Scott

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Scott,

Whether or not you need to remove the body will depend on how much your pans have rusted out. It may be possible that you can cut the necessary pieces from the new pans, or trim the pans to fit what needs to be repaired.

The proper way to replace the pans is to cut out the old pans from the VW chassis and weld the new pans in. I know people rivet the new pans in and seal the seams, but that really is a short-sighted process.

Your TDr body is bolted to the VW chassis perimeter along the outer edges, and likely at the “firewall,” the rear of the passenger compartment and at the front. depending on the manufacturer of the kit, it may also be bolted or riveted to a rear sub-frame.

You’ll also have to disconnect any wiring harnesses to the engine. and disconnect the steering column.

The bodies are very light. Once everything is disconnected, it’s easy for two people to lift it off.

You will be left with a VW go-cart, like this:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Scott Mefford
    Participant

@smefford

Thanks Paul, that is helpful.  I may just be able to order a 1/4 pan (the rear part of the left pan) and fit it in to help solve the problem but it seems to correct it properly I will need to remove the body and pull some of the wiring.  Sounds like a job..

Scott

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

tedious but straight forward to take the body off. I’ve done it PM if you have any problems. if you need a full pan you will save a lot on shipping if you buy a back & front pan kolkhiem  from Sweden or the Netherlands I’m not sure. but they are as thick or thicker than stock &  close to the same price as cheap crap. I used a flux core & a spot welder to do mine ugly welds but the rug will hide it lol. I will try to chime in more this summer was tuff with all that was on my plate. as I said pm me for more info

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.