oil drip

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits oil drip

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Do all old VW,s drip oil? Mine sure does and I cant get it to stop. I have been told that they all do, is that right? If so how much?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Let’s say A LOT of them do! But a properly built and maintained VW engine will not.

Two primary things to look at:

Oil pan screen cover. I bet ninety percent of owners over tighten the nuts holding the screen cover on. And it is imperative to replace the copper washers and paper gaskets (one above, one below the screen) each time you remove and clean the screen.

Valve covers. The original stock valve covers are the best. Some woudl say they are the ONLY alternative. Again, replace the gaskets every time you adjust the valves (which is every 3,000 miles). And use original equipmetn style, CORK gaskets. Clean teh valve covers and the heads where eh gaskets make contact. Then clean them again. Maybe   third time! (Get the message?) Apply a light coat of grease to the gaskets to hold them into the covers when you – CAREFULLY – replace the covers.

Bolt on valave covers are notorious for leaking. Don’t know why. But they do! Intuitively, it would seem the bolts would hold tighter. But that theory it fails in the real world.

PMOSSBERG2012-03-16 13:49:00

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Thanks Paul I try that.

Charlie
    Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

PMossberg is right. VW’s don’t leak oil unless there is a problem. Another place is the push rod tubes. The spring loaded are notorious for leaking, use original VW parts. Another place to check is around the oil pump. If somebody replaced it and pulled it using a screwdriver to pry it out, they probably damaged the sealing surface on the block. If so the you have to pull the pump and gently sand any ridge out and replace the gaskets and reinstall. Good luck.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I just rebuilt my engine and am proud to say that there are NO leaks or drips (now).  So, it’s possible.  Yes. 

Royal
    Participant

@royal

PS I meant to add that I used new original style push rod tubes with new end seals.  I had read here and on the Samba about the problems with the aftermarket spring loaded types which “seemed” like a good idea.  Go with original equipment. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good on ya, Roy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.