The Complete Buyers Guide to Kit Cars – 1984

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars The Complete Buyers Guide to Kit Cars – 1984

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

A couple of weeks ago I got a copy of a 1984 Kit Cars Buyers Guide from my buddy Glen with the Classic Factory 1936 Mercedes Benz 500K.  He’s had this publication since 1984 and had used as the basis of his research to buy his car.  There’s a wealth of info in there and I thought I would share it with you all.  To that end, I digitized the thing and placed it in the Library under MGTD and Replica History as Kit Cars Buyers Guide – part 1 and part 2.  It was a pretty big file that’s why I had to break it into two parts.  I hope you all enjoy it.

500k 2                                                          500k 1

Glen’s Classic Factory 1936 Mercedes Benz 500K                                           Glen and I at a car show

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks!

I have an original of this tucked away somewhere in my archives!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Paul, if you have anything else like this, please, let me know.  I can scan it and put it up.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks for that, Vicenc

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

@sabreur76 Excellent addition! Glad to see that you can get things into the Library. Really hoping that we can start to have more similar contributions and spread the maitenance load among us!

Now I’ve got some evening reading 🙂

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Man, imagine buying one of those 32 original Ferrari 250 GTOs in 1984 for the whopping total of “up to $85,000.”

That was like four new Corvettes then! Crazytown!

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@stephenhouser – Thanks!  Happy to help out any way I can.

@edsnova
    – Glad you are enjoying it!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

WOW! 😯

There are a LOT more kit car options out there than I ever IMAGINED!

If you had the time, tools and room (and guts!) you could make just about ANYTHING!

Thanks for posting!

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It was definitely a golden age, I think.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Great Find Stephen!  Noticed that the reference to the British Coach Works “Model 52” is from before the GM engined (Chevy Chevette/Pontiac 1000) and factory built cars were available.

I’m still learning about my own car and this site, but the front engined BCW TDr variation had a custom frame based on the original TD and did not use the GM frame.  99% or the metal was original or reproduction TD items.  Seats adjust as per the original TD but the behind the seat well is a bit smaller than other manufacturers and is indeed a “well” setup with a folding snap-down flap on the top.

Even this tiny 4cyl engine carried the full compliment of performance sapping 1980’s pollution control devices (air pumps, air intake chokes, catyletic converter….).  Surprisingly it also made use of the little GM bottom mounted gas tank (the TD tank you see on the car is a dummy), which makes a large empty unaccessible void in the back where the VW folks have their engines.

Not sure how to upload this to the model descriptions page, so will suffice with mentioning it here for now.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.