1934 MG PB Q-Type Recreation

Home Forums General Discussion 1934 MG PB Q-Type Recreation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If you are interested in MG history, this recreation is pretty cool:

PMOSSBERG2015-11-18 12:13:02

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Very very cool.  But, I just checked and I only have a spare $136,000 laying around in my checking account.  Do you think he’s negotiable?  Big smile

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

why would anyone pay that  price for a replica???? and Blue at  that !!:o

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Roy…the ad says “negotiable! Give it a shot.

Or, they’ll finance it with payments of “only” $1,266 per month!

John…why a $136,000 replica? Who knows! Except that the 8 originals are all off the market. This does look like one of those, “Man it would be cool if we built this,” moments. And now the builders are tryign to get some or all of their money back.

PMOSSBERG2015-11-18 13:01:27

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

It’s too bad it is blue…..If it were red, I jump right on it.

Sam

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hope you are not too disappointed Sam.

Clipper Blue was a factory color for MG TDs. Slightly darker than this car.

No idea what was factory in 1934

Here’s an original MG PB Q, sold in 2006 for an undisclosed price:

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Says “replica” there at the top of the ad. Damn kit cars!

It is fascinating to me to see the way technology developed and then devolved from the 1920s through the ’50s. The P-type had an overhead cam, cross-flow head and supercharger, while the T was overhead valve head with intake and exhaust on the same side, and normally-aspirated. 
    This despite tremendous technical advances in the WWII era, when dual overhead cam engines were made literally bullet-proof for use in fighter planes
    And the trend was not unique to MG or Great Britain. Remember the Hudson Hornet was “ground-breaking” (and race-dominating) because of a simple chassis innovation–welding the floor in below the frame members instead of above to create the low and sleek “step-down” design. But the engine was a flat head, valve-in-block unit.
    I believe the war’s end created two contrary imperatives, the first being the well-known corporate mission to quickly fill pent up consumer demand. Everyone talks about that, particularly the British car companies’ “export or die” policy.
    But the second imperative was to build cheap and fast. Building cars to a price-point was the newest and most pressing engineering challenge, and it was particularly difficult after nearly two decades of cost-plus military design.
    The engineers, I believe, could not readily wrap their minds around this challenge–the design of the thing itself being significantly subordinate to the design of the assembly line, the efficient designation of tasks and the limitations of tooling that had to remain “in spec” for many more cycles than what was used for military stuff. So instead of adapting the lessons of military hardware to cars, they grabbed for older, proven consumer technology and punted to the marketing team, which duly tarted-up the “innovation” claims with rhetoric that was frankly laughable. 
    This phase lasted for three decades (in America and GB, at least), and did not begin to change here until the threat of Japanese cars (overhead cams! but cheeeep!) and mandated emissions controls forced the engineers to start actually thinking again. 
    –not to say that car engineers had much agency throughout this period. . . .
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Some one sure put a lot of effort into it!Thumbs Up
    I LOVE the fish tail exhaust!
    Getting it back to the states would probably add another $3000 to the cost. But I suppose if you’ve got $137K just needing to be spent what’s an extra 3 grand?:lol:

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.