1977 chevette ~ clean up engine compartment

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits 1977 chevette ~ clean up engine compartment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Travis Towle
    Participant

@tetowle

I just bought this mg td replica made on a 1977 chevette 4 speed from fiberfab.

After I had the car inspected, then registered the car and got my tag I went for a drive.

PROBLEM #1

We were driving down the road when the car started ideling faster then normal, then when we turned into a store parking lot and turned the car “off” it kept the engine running and bumping until it finally died after 15-20 seconds.

When we came back out and tried to start the car the serpentine belt started screaming and burning up.  The air injector emission pump was frozen solid.  Had the car towed to my mechanic.  He is going to remove the injection pump and it’s junk, and put on a shorter belt for me totally bypassing the emission pump for good. (Legal in Kansas because of car age and no inspections here).

QUESTIONs FOR #1

= why did the car keep running when we turned it off?

= what else can I remove to clean up the engine compartment?

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Tetowle,

I’ve got a British Coach Works with a mid 1980’s Chevette Engine and all the associated emissions items (presumably still functioning).  I’ve left it all alone but have seen others remove the air pump and piping, there is also a valve that is either heat or pressure controlled on the neck of the air cleaner cover which I think is probably useless and at least one hose directly off the main portion of the air cleaner cover.  My air cleaner neck also has a long tube which snakes to the front of the engine and provides the air pickup.  Sometimes mine sputters before turning off, so I run Super Unleaded in the car which seems to take care of the issue but I think in general it runs rich.  Once it warms up the Carb idiot light comes on but it’s probably associated with the old emissions items.  Mine also tends to not want to kick down until it’s gone a few miles.

One guy on this site felt his engine was being starved for air, so he drilled alot of holes in the air cleaner cover and felt that made a difference.  I simply flipped the air cleaner top upside down to see if I noticed any additional “pep” and can’t say I have.  My TD also doesn’t seem to have a muffler – the cat seems to be doing double duty.  Eventually I’ll remove that and put in a proper muffler and at that same time remove the air pump and lines.  I think that will make a difference.

Thought it might help if I shared my own issues.  Hoping someone with better mechanical skills can chime in.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m not to conversant in Chevette but there is a club with a forum, and there are dudes who actually race these things. Apparently they’re pretty durable and reliable. Good luck!

http://chevette-forum.freeforums.net/board/5/engine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.