Another new guy

Home Forums General Discussion Another new guy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Hi there,

I adopted a 1985 BCW Model TD that is based on Chevette components, and

am in the process of “rejuvenating” it. I just joined the TD Replica forum and

posted a question in the Ford/Chevy section but thought it might be worth

while asking everyone.

The car steers very well. However, at 65 MPH the steering gets

very sensitive. It is not a problem if the road surface is smooth, but if he

surface gets rough or uneven, the steering becomes very lively, or sensitive.

I’ve replaced the rack and pinon steering unit, tie rod ends, and

steering knuckles. Is this something I’ve got to live with? Any suggestions

would be most welcome.

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Hi Dick,

It sounds as if you changed all the major componets. Did you have a front end or 4 wheel alignment done? I don’t know if that will help your problem, but it will not hurt. Thats what I did afer the assembly to be sure the car tracked correctly. Also be sure the rear axel is stable. My car (chevette TD kit) handles well at highway speeds so there must be something left. Good luck.

Bill Hursh

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Dick; did you check the bushings on the control arms upper and lower.also I think there may me a stabalizer rod on the lower control arm check the bushings in those.Worn ball joints as well as a loose wheel bearing will cause problems.Check sway bar bushings as well if it has one.Uneven tire pressure on the front will cause issues with pulling as will a caliper sticking,also a collapsed brake hose on the front will cause a caliper to hang up.Can’t think of anything else to check.Good luck

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Welcome to the TD Replica forum Dick.

Here’s my experience with these replicas and I’ve had a VW based car, Ford based and now have a Chevette based BCW kit like yours.

Your problem starting at 65 mph (quite brisk for these little cars) is probably a combo of two things, too stiff of suspension coupled with aero lift. That’s right, lift.

At speeds above 50 mph the front fenders catch a lot of air. The front end gets “lighter”. Coupled with OEM Chevette springs that are a tad too stiff, the steering in you car will get “twitchy” as the front of the car gets “lift”.

I’ll bet it’s fine at slower speeds. The Pontiac Fiero uses the same front end components as the Chevette/Pontiac T-1000 and due to the mid engine configuration, their front springs are a little shorter and softer. They are the same ID and OD as the Chevette spring and will fit. It’s trial and error if you don’t have a set of scales and a wind tunnel to dial it in.

Keep in mind that these cars are not 21st Century design and will never ride and drive like a Miata or BMW Z3 or Z4. Believe it or not, they are pretty much a post WWII rudimentary sports car. The sport was having enough nerve to go fast in one!!!

Good Luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.