Back in a Beetle

Home Forums General Discussion Back in a Beetle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alvin Davenport
    Participant

@gmanaed

Hello fellow MG replica owners.  I just purchased a Classic Duchess MG kit.  It is a complete, low mileage, very nice car.  I won it on ebay.  The ebay add said it had been garaged and only driven on sunny days.  I had to drive it 110 miles through snow in the mountains of NC to get it home!  I must say VW’s still rule in the snow.  My wife and son were following in my 4wd Toyota pickup and were having difficulty keeping up.  The car runs very well, but since it’s still a ’73 beetle, it isn’t the fastest thing I’ve driven lately-it’s all about momentum.  The side curtains worked some, but I couldn’t get any heat (do they have heat?) and the snow tended to blow in some, so I think I’ll stick to sunny days like the previous owner.  I did lose one wiper blade on the way home, so I’ve ordered a few replacements already, thanks to some posts on this site.  I need to clean it up and then inspect it a little more closely-figure out where everything is and how it all works.  Anyway, glad to find this site and what appears to be some nice folks posting on it.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome to the club. Great win with the TD. Since it’s on a VW chassis, the heat system is left as is with no modification. It should work like a standard VW beetle system. Check to see if you have heater boxes and if they’re connected. Great folks here and lots of good knowledge so don’t worry about asking questions…ask away.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen is technically correct, but we can’t generalize that heat systems were left in place. Retention of the VW heat is up to the builder.

If the builder wanted heat….

The running board channels that bring heated air to the defroster disappear when the Beetle body is removed.

The heat exchange boxes are retained on the exhaust system

The lever and cable that control air flow to the defroster are removed. The other lever is retained. (these are the levers on each side of the parking brake).

The stock VW insulated air ducts may have been retained. Or they may have been replaced with flex tubing. In either case they run into the car underneath the seat. Some kits run the heat into the center tunnel and have vents on the sides of the tunnel.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Alvin Davenport
    Participant

@gmanaed

Thanks for the tips guys.  I learned to drive in a 1965 Beetle 35 years ago and later owned a 71 that was in the family for 20 years.  I just haven’t had time to check out the Duchess yet.  I live in KY and I left it at my condo in TN.  I plan to go back and clean it up this week.  I should be able to verify the heat issue then. 

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Welcome to our group…….. ”left it at my condo in Tn. ” could this be a HALF car ? or half dot  Dan

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome and congratulations. These cars are nothing but fun, as are the folks who drive them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.