Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Home Forums General Discussion Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

This is an answer to Ringo’s post about the cleaner he found for his Dayton spoked wheels.

I had bought some spray-on squirter chrome wheel cleaner (Meguiars?) that I thought worked great too. It was nearly $10 a bottle though at the local Pep Boys.

Using it, I noticed the smell it gave off was very familiar. I just couldn’t place it though. Cleaning my bathroom yielded the answer. It’s nothing but “Scrubbing Bubbles” which cost 1/3 the price at any grocery store. Then I started buying the store brand and saved even more at just over $1.50 a quart. It’s works GREAT too!!! 

Pink MG39915.9633217593

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Mark

Too cool!  I had tried everything in the house over the years and had given up on anything working like advertised.  My one complaint about Hot Rims was the price. Live and learn.

Thanks,  Ringo

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I have not only a dirt and grime problem on my baskets, but a rust problem. I would steel wool off the rust stains back to shiny chrome, but the rust would come back. On one of the wheels I used a clear coat as a test. It seems to work well to keep moisture from the rust, but I don’t know if this will have to be recoated all the time. The wires on my other car are stainless, but the road dirt is a problem. I’ll try the scrubbing bubbles, great tip, thanks!

James

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

James

The rust will keep coming back unless you really seal it after cleaning.  A friend of mine would use chrome polish and complain about how often he had to do it.  He wasn’t waxing it after the polish, so it would only last a few weeks.  Once waxed, it did much better.

I would use the clear sealant making sure it’s enamel or lacquer clear coat and not acrylic.   If there are any visible breaks in the chrome that seem to be the source of the rust, carefully paint just those areas with a rust converter. (Klean strip rust converter available at local auto parts, or POR15)  Once sealed with the converter, being careful to only treat the open wounds, apply the clear.

Yeah, you’ll have to re-do from time to time but it lasts much longer with the convertor and the right clear coat.

Ringo

Ringo39916.627662037

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Ringo,

Thanks for the info. I already messed up……I checked and the clear coat is acrylic.

I’ll get some of the rust converter and polish off the acrylic stuff. Thank goodness I only did one basket. Fortunately the basket polishing can be done while watching a TV movie or sports inside with steel wool. I have some high gloss clear lacquer to coat them (outside). Here in Memphis, we have a car show every Thursday night, usually about a 100 classics and replicas, open to everyone with cool rides and free to all. There are vendor booths that show up from time to time. I’ll check out some of their products. At one of the shows I picked up some German metal polish that is incredible, works on any metal to make it dazzle, very expensive, very worth it.

Thanks again for the info.

James

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Hey James,

What is that German polish called? I’d like to try it. Thanks!

Geoff

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Autosol  –  Edel-Chromglanz

Chrom-u, Metallpflege

Dursol-fabrik Solingen 19 West Germany

The most amazing stuff I have ever used. Comes in a tube like toothpaste. A dot will polish an area of about 3″ square to a mirror finish. Mill finish aluminum can look like triple plated chrome in seconds. I can’t remember the cost, but it was not cheap. I am about half way thru my tube and everything in my driveway and house shines like a mirror. My tube is Inhalt 100g size.

James

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

Google Autosol and you’ll find it. Looks like $6.99 for a tube is the lowest price. Nice stuff, gotta get some!

Thanks James,

Rich

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Online purchase it is….no more street vendor jacked up price for me. I think he hit me up for like 15 bucks  at the car show, but that’s to be expected.

I went to this website

http://thepolishguy.com/category/autosol/

It can be used for plastics also. It really is amazing and better than Wenol.

James

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks for the info!! I’m ordering some today!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.