Console/Cupholder

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Console/Cupholder

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I have been trying to decide how to do something as simple as hold a cup in my VW based TD. I also thought it would be nice to have a place to rest my shifting arm. I couldnt find anything store bought that fit my needs so this is what I came up with. The wood is ash and the stain is minwax gunstock. That was as close a match i could come to my steering wheel and dash. IT wedges in nicely between the seats and pulls out easily to get to all the stuff im sure I will drop in side it

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Very Nice!

Almost makes me wish I had bucket seats!

Ringo

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Mike,, Looks good!! I’ve been trying to figure out something like that my self. I have to get my wife’s Frosty at WENDYS put in a bag so I don’t spill it on the way home.

By the way, I saw your car in the photo gallery, very nice.!!! I liked the old mill background too.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mike,
    Really nice. You can pop it out for road trip picnics down by the old mill stream too . My emergency brake is in that location, so I had to do store bought holders under the dash area in the center, in front of the shifter.
    Larry, isn’t that Frosty cup empty anyway by the time you get home,
    Mike can you do us up a pattern for the holder? It would probably work in most VW kits, or send me the dimensions and I could whip up some patterns in the CAD for ya if you like. Ringo you can take your bench seat base out and get a couple of buckets to sit in , could be handy for those real long road trips if you know what I mean.
    Mike, if you haven’t already, the picture by the old mill would be awesome on a post card or Christmas card. , Great photo!! My computer screen saver is car photos from this group, I would love to add that shot if that’s ok.
    James

JasCochran40435.9295023148

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mike,
    By the way, looking at your photos, we have found your missing shoe

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

James, The frosty is the excuse [reason] for the ride so it has to come home untouched. The secret is that it is always a greater distance  T O Wendys then the distance FROM Wendys back home.Smile      

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mike, that is very nice work.

Larry–I had that exact trouble two weeks ago with the frosty. The Wendy’s dude handed it to me and I looked at it, then back at him, and asked for one of those 4-place trays. He ended up putting the whole Frosty cup into a much bigger cup with a lid. I even saw his manager berating him, dude kind of pointed with his elbow out at me, manager takes a peep and then walks away. 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Mike, love the looks of that. That is really close to the look of the wood on the dash. You should think about making a few and offering them for a fee to those who’d like one. I’d by one from you.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

I too needed a place for drinks while driving. Also I had built a circuit with a keypad (and needed a place for that) when set would disable the car from being started. So I came up with a similar idea that took care of both. Just adding this for ideas.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have had this car for five years and had been meaning to do something. It was an easy project even for someone with amateur woodworking skills like myself. James I already have put the drawing in cad format if you would like it or i can save to pdf that anyone can open. If anyone would like a drawing just pm me your email and i would be happy to send it to you. James you are more than welcome to the TD and Mill photo. I have sized the resolution down to post it here, but if you would like the full resolution photo just pm me your email and I will send it to you. I have it as my desktop background on my work computer. The old mill is awesome, its about 40 miles from me and was a sugarcane mill back in the 1800s. I found an old photo of it on the web and there was a three story structure sitting on top of the rock foundation. I live in the ozarks with lots of things to see. Nice two lane highways thru the mountains with just enough twists, turns and bumps to make a TD drive interesting. Kind of like the way life should be.

Just and afterthought here, but wouldnt a calender with members cars be pretty cool?

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Paul, that is awesome. Love the MG logo. Is it wood? You guys have done an outstanding job, great ideas blended with craftsmanship and they can hold a Frosty .
    I like the hidden keypad

Mike, a calendar is a great idea . Where in the Ozarks are you? Be sure to get in the registry. The link is in Paul’s tag-line.

JasCochran40435.9663425926

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow….

Those consoles look great.

Curse my Duchess bench seat!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

The console is made out of cherry and I made the logo out of the same wood.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You guys have given me an idea. Woodworking class!

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Pga64..I noticed your shifter is about 3 to 4″ in front of the seats where mine is about flush. That answers the question about if the vw based TDs would have a universal fit. It looks like everyone would use a little different dimensions in building something like this. I really like your console. I wish I would have more room to add a compartment to mine.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

That is a good observation with two huge variables.

The various kit manufacturers instruciotns may have been different.

And the more significant, what the the home builder actually do? Did they follow the instructions? Misinterpret? Do something different on purpose?

That is the beautiful and the ugly side of a home built car. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Mike,

I was just looking at your picture and then looked at my car and it looks like I have a lot more clearance between the steering wheel and the back of my seat, also.  I measured 15″ from the bottom edge of the steering wheel to the back of the seat. You must sitting right up close to the wheel. BTW that is one good looking MG. I notice you have a spare tire on the back. Could you post some pics of how its mounted?

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

PGA..if you look in the manual download under  VW CMC Fiberfab page 39 you can see how CMC did it. They have a raised portion on the engine cover that fits inside the rim. Then they have a flat bar with two studs drilled thru the cover that the wheel mounts to with lug nuts. If i remember correctly the steel bar is about 3/8 thich by 1 1/2 wide. If its any different I will make sure you get a photo and a correct dimension. I think  the part of the engine cover that suports the tire may be thicker on the cmc fiberfab, if it is another makers kit may not be able to support the weight. Maybe some other member may be able to confirm or correct that statement. Keep in mind it makes lifting the engine cover heavy if you have the type that swings up. I am going to measure the wheel to seat distance tonight. It is a close fit with my aging gut for sure and i plan to shorten the steering shaft and move it closer to the dash. I think the photo may be distorted some when I resized to post and it may not be as close as it appears.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

PGA,

I checked the tire mounting on my car and it was like I had thought. A flat bar under the cover with two studs coming thru the cover that the spare goes on. The spare is secured with lugnuts.  The tire is centered by a section of the cover that has been molded to fit. I also checked the distance of the bottom of steering wheel to back of seat (about 13″). When I move my wheel forward it will be about the same as yours and a little more comfortable. It also will give me a little expansion room for fries and chili dogs.

Mike

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Mike,

I checked out the CMC manual. I don’t think mounting a spare on my cover would be feasible. My cover doesn’t have a molded section as yours does. So I guess I’ll just have to rely on a tire repair plug kit and an air compressor. A friend of mine just picked up a Duchess and I’ll have to check out how his spare is mounted. Thanks for the info and your time.

Paul

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The original cars mounted the spare on a tube steel frame that bolted over the gas tank. They also had the license plate mounting bracket built in.

These frames come available on ebay about once a month. Might be adaptable if you, the builder, are also adaptable. (The BCW cars have a somewhat wider version of these that swing away to provide engine access).

Steel tubing couldn’t hurt the structural integrity/strength of the rear section either, particularly for us VW guys. Just sayin’.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check ebay every now and then.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.