Converting from regular to power steering

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Converting from regular to power steering

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Can you give me any ideas about what makes and models of vehiles I can take a power steering column from (with of course motor and pump) to replace my regular column.  ’80’s Pinto columns are pretty rare over the line here in BC now, Pinto’s tend to go straight to the crusher rather than get stripped for salvage parts.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Jennifer AKA SSIMGTD

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hi Jennifer,

Converting to power steering will not require changing the steering column. It requires changing the steering rack from a manual to power. It will also require a shorter lower steering column due the fact that the output shaft on the power steering rack is longer.

The Pinto/Mustang II steering rack is very common and is found in thousands of streetrods. It is readily available brand new or rebuilt. I even have a never used, still boxed Pinto/Mustang II power steering rack that was for my 1940 Ford streetrod, but I used a manual rack. The rebuilt power steering rack is an A1 Cardone rebuilt, part number AIR 53-6413 and cost about $150.

The other part of the swap is the pump/reservoir and hoses and possibly the crank pulley. These parts are readily available too.

Finding the bracket that mounts the pump/reservoir may be easy too. It was a one piece cast unit and used for years on the 2.3L four cylinder applications in many different cars with that engine.

For new and rebuilt parts I use http://www.rockauto.com and www.greensalescompany.com for obsolete Ford parts.

When you buy mechanical parts for your TD, the Pinto, Mustang II and Mercury Bobcat are all the same car. Also the rare Merkur XR4Ti used the same platform.

You can also try “googling” for a Pinto/Mustang II used parts supplier. There was a guy in Lancaster, PA area that had a business supplying used Mustang II parts, but I lost his number. If you could get the whole conversion used that would be the way to go. You could just use new hoses and be sure the rack seals are good. 

Hope this helps…come back if you need more info.

Good Luck,

Mark H.

Pink MG39862.4374652778

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Whereabouts are you located Mark?

The info you have given me is really helpful and I am passing it on to the friend of mine who is helping me with the updates that I want to add to the car (right now we are designing a roll bar that mounts right onto the frame ( very discreet but adds to the safety of the car).

The fact that you have a rack is great and if you are close to BC we may be able to make some arrangement for purchase and delivery

Thanks so much   Jennifer

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I’m about as far from BC as you can get. I live at the central NJ Shore, about 30 miles south of NYC and 60 miles north of Atlantic City.

Using http://www.rockauto.com is where you can get most all of the parts you need. I will continue to look for that guy in Lancaster, Pennsylvania who has the Mustang II junkyard.

In the mean time, try web searches and such for Mustang II (1974-78) and Pinto/Bobcat (1970-1980) forums or online clubs. They’ll be as helpful as this forum.

I have described several places on this forum where I started a Ford based TD build that was getting a Buick V6, 4 speed OD automatic, beefy Ford posi rear to be a Cobra eater. I sold it with the stock Pinto drivetrain installed to a fellow in Sacramento, CA. Most of the “hot rod” parts ended up in my 40 Ford Streetrod.

So, you are lucky as far as front suspension parts go, they’re all readily available. pinkmg@verizon.net is my e-mail if you or your helper need to contact me directly.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

You may have to swap the lower pulley on the crank snout too. It depends on what set up you get to mount the pump/reservoir. Of course you’ll need a V-belt to drive the pump too.

I still can’t find the Pennsylvania Mustang II used parts guy. Try this website and see what you get.

http://www.mustangii.net/service.asp

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Thanks for the update, sorry I didn’t respond earlier, just haven’t been on the site recently….caught up with other stuff… and our weather has not exactly been cooperating when it comes to doing work on the car…it is in a carport, not a fully enclosed garage

Regards

SSIMGTD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.