Daytona Migi Newbie

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Daytona Migi Newbie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Newland
    Participant

@carolinabob

Good Morning Folks:

I have been lurking in the background for a couple of weeks. and have found some very helpful information, especially the front suspension info submitted by Pink MG, not for my Daytona, but for my Bugatti !

I recently bought the Daytona, and it needs lots of Parts and TLC.

It has no top, no front bumper, a lousy exhaust, and it had the wrong carburetor on it, which gave me the dreaded “flat spot” so well known to air cooled’s

I have been in contact with MG Magic to resolve the top and bumper issues, and I have a rebuilt carb ready to go as soon as the arctic air moves out of here (no garage).

I want to go for a ride Sunday, since the weatherman has predicted our first 70 degree day for this year.

I’ll post some pics as soon as I figger it out (it took me a day to find out how to register!).

Later

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Welcome Bob. Good luck with your two kit cars.

One of your missing components, the top, seems to be the case with many TD replica buyers. MG Magic is great, but keep in mind you are buying a top that is probably already 20+ years old. With good pictures and/or an old top, local auto upholsterers and convertible top shops can fabricate a new top out of much better materials. Just a hint.

I had a car called a Baron made by Classic Raodsters Ltd in Fargo, ND. I had a new top and side curtains made locally out a material used by Mercedes and other high-end factory cars called Stay-Fast.

Bob Newland
    Participant

@carolinabob

Good Morning Pink:

Thanks for the tip !

At this point I don’t even have the frame (only two roll bars).

I have used Sunbrella before on my boats, and have found it to be very durable. I think I will get a frame from MG Magic and have it covered locally with Sunbrella.

I have lots of work for some good local upholstery shop. (tonneau and seats for the Bugatti, and tonneau and top for the Migi)

Headed out now to get rid of the “flat spot” so I can go touring tomorrow (70 degrees).

Thanks Again,
    Bob

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Bob,

What did you mean by “two roll bars”?

Are they really roll bars or are they more like electrical conduit?

I ask because roll bars are pretty rare with MG TD kits.

And the typical MG TD kit roof frame is simply two “hoops” of tubing, about the size of standard conduit.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

As Paul says, those two roll bars are the frame if what he described is what you have. These things don’t have a “real” convertible top frame like a Corvette or other roadsters.

Remember, these cars didn’t have roll-up windows, so the top was pretty much a crude umbrella.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.