different London Roadster running boards.

Home Forums General Discussion different London Roadster running boards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Can any one tell why the difference in our London Roadster’s running

board’s where it meets the back fender.? My LR has a hump before

the back fender. Others do not

Thx john

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Daytona MiGi bodies were mounted about 2″ further aft than most other TDrs.  This caused interference with the rear torsion bar strut (thus the hump).  Also, the front grill is shorter due to this same interference with the VW front end.  But there is more room in the engine compartment than in most others without putting on a very large oversized “gas tank”.  The London Roadster was based upon the Daytona MiGi fiberglass tub which they bought out.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy some LR’s have the hump some don’t .Is this simply a newer body

model   when LR bought out MIGI?. I have factory frame not a VW

frame.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I have noticed that some LRs have the hump others, no.  I really don’t know why. There were advantages and disadvantages to moving the tub aft.  Moving it forward makes the grill more MG like and if I could choose, I would probably choose one mounted forward (unlike mine).   Let others tell of advantages/disadvantages since, being a newborn TDr owner, I only know from what I have read.  Looking forward to Carlisle to see other variants of TDs.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy, and that’s a good reason to go to carisle.. thx

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, My guess is that LR used the same MiGi bodies on the VW pans as did on the custom chassis.I can’t explain why some have the hump and some do not except it is not unusual to see slight variations from year to year. My VW based LR has the short grille but it appears slightly different from yours. If I am correct, the front edge of your hood side panels, where they connect to the grille ,slope toward the front from the bottom to where they meet the hood.The VW based models are closer to vertical.

Roy is correct about the positioning of the body being the determining factor in the grille height and the ”gas tank” size.It also means that the wheels sit closer to the front  on the VW based cars while the custom chassis models are farther to the rear.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Larry- I will check out the hood side panels.. good info…thanks so

much ..also I as roy like the talller grill. Mine is shorter. Good info

larry. Wish I coud get to Carisle…hopefully I will get up to Roys this

spring

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.