Disc brake conversion for Ford CMC

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Disc brake conversion for Ford CMC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CoffeyD
    Participant

@coffeyd

I am pondering the idea of converting the drum rear brakes to disc to match the front disc configuration. Has anybody done this.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I bet it’s been done and documented on the Mustang II sites.  I would be a little concerned upgrading the rears without a proportioning valve installed in the rear brake line.  Your brakes need to be balanced front to rear and the valve will give you that ability.

I too am not happy with my manual brakes but think I’ll replace the rotors and get better pads for the front before altering the rears. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Coffey, I have an 8″ Ford rear that came from Pinto wagon. All V6/V8 powered Mustang II’s, Pintos and Bobcats came with this rear.

This rear was designed in 1960 for use in Ford Fairlane and is sometimes referred to as the “Baby 9 inch”. It is a pumpkin style rear, the gear set comes out the front of the carrier.

If your car has the little 6.75 rear, there is no disc brake conversion kit available. You would have to upgrade to the 8″ rear. If your rear has the tin inspection cover facing the rear of the car, it’s a 6.75″ rear that came with all cars equiped with 4 cylinders (1.6L, 2.0L or 2.3L).

I have a complete rear, all COMPLETELY rebuilt with new parts. I had the carrier (housing) modified with 3″ straight, not tapered, axle tubes and also had drain and fill bungs installed. 

The pumpkin has a brand new 3.55:1 Auburn posi. I had the axles re-drilled for 5 x 4.5″ Ford bolt pattern (versus 4 x 4.25″) and they also have new bearings and seals. It also has the bolt-on disc brake caliper adapters from “the Streetrod Manufacturing Company” http://www.tsmmfg.com/.

It uses a GM “G” body (1978-83 Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Grand Prix/Regal) metric caliper and Lincoln Mark VII rotors.

I also bought a pinion yoke mounted, disc parking brake from TSM, but will be using that in my 1940 Ford streetrod that has a Ford 8″ rear from a Ford Maverick (different axle flanges) that has the same pumpkin that I installed a 3.80:1 Eaton-Detroit Truetrac posi in.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.