Electronic Ignition Modual

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Electronic Ignition Modual

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I had been kicking around the idea of doing away with my points and adding an electronic ignition modual such as a petronix or compufire. After looking at my decades old bosch single vacuum dual advance distributor and seeing how much play there was I decided to replace the worn distributor all together. I looked around The Samba for ideas and ran into the great Petronix vs Compufire debate. Some of the people there are such purists to the VW they have a ” if the good Lord had wanted something besides points on a VW they would have put it on it back in 67 “. One guy had just put a new distributor that comes with a matched coil and electronic modual on his. He raved about it and it sounded like what I was looking for. Its a Richporter VW10 bought from O’Reilly auto parts, $126.00 for everything, distibutor, coil and modual with lifetime warrenty. I installed mine about two weeks ago and love it. I know my performance was down because of the worn distributor I had , but the results are: easier starts, smoother idle and faster acceleration. This is a vacuum advance distributor like the one I replaced so you need to be running something like a pict 34 carb to provide enough vacuum. They also have a replacement for the bosch 009 distributor (mechanical only advance) Richporter part# VW6. So far mine has performed excellent. If you need a new distributor or are thinking about doing away with your points give these a looksee. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks for the info, Mike. 

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I added the pertronix to my 2.3 ford and believe this is a fine upgrade.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.