Flat 4 banjo steering wheel hub

Home Forums General Discussion Flat 4 banjo steering wheel hub

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

TGIF

Has anyone changed a Grant steering wheel to a Flat 4 banjo steering wheel on their V W based car?

my  question (which may  be too late).

Well now that I have ordered  the Flat 4 banjo steering wheel hub adapter.. etc and have the grant steering wheel – I question if the flat 4 banjo hub adapter kit  for the VW will be all I need or will I need to get the original v w steering wheel hub parts to work with the flat 4 banjo hub adapter..hmmm?

thx
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The adapter will get the wheel mounted.

The turn signal cancellation mechanism should be stock VW stuff. You’ll just reuse what you already have. And of that doesn’t work, I did say “should.” 😉

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx Paul.

As it turned out I didn’t use the adapter. Now I am waiitng for the horn button (back ordered)to  arrive. I jury-rigged the old button for now.

I Love the period looks of the Flat4 Banjo steering wheel. Now my next little project is

to replace the ugly radio with a TD glove box and door.
    Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, The wheel looks great!! It sure does add to the period look and blends well with the interior colors.I look forward to seeing the glove box . What is the diameter of the wheel?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The wheel looks GREAT!

I’m betting that’s  15 1/2″ wheel.

I’m concerned I won’t have room for that. So I’m talking to these guys about a custom color for the rim and hub:

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Larry and Paul ..Thx so much ..The wheel is 15 1/2 inches….the adapter for it really didnt look good or do the job so I used the existing hub that came with the LR.  

I do drive her like the old lady that she is.

Maybe its my imagination but she seems to drive more like the real MG TD that I remember from so many years ago. LOve it !!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

John, who’d you buy this wheel from?

Paul Mossberg

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That wheel looks great, John! Can you detail the installation for us? You didn’t use the Flat 4 hub, correct? So how did you do it?

Paul: that FS wheel looks very cool as well. I don’t think I’ve seen that one before.

Love me some banjo wheels!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I second Ed’s request.

I took a look at the recommended Flat 4 hub, that would definitely put the wheel too close to my chest.

Paul Mossberg

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Ed and Paul-

I did not use the Boss kit hub assemble. Yes the banjo steering hub kit does  put the  wheel close to the chest ..plus the banjo steering boss kit – aka hub adapter  they recommend  doesnt really fit  well. There is a unsightly gap between it and the  steering column. I did use the three  black fasteners  from the steering boss kit  to bolt the  banjo steering wheel to the exisitng Grant hub assemble.

The Grant horn button and guts don’t fit this wheel. The  Flat 4 banjo  horn buttons are backordered. I placed some shrink wrap over the horn contact as you can see. My  day to day driving I very rarely use the horn . Hopefully the horn button will arrive before inspection.

in January. The only  caveat would be that the center hub  bolt doesnt directly hold the wheel on  the  hub- only the three fasteners secure the wheel.

Conserns or questions?

jebarry2012-08-29 22:28:47

Royal
    Participant

@royal

John, I’ve been watching this thread with interest.  I am not sure that I could fit behind the wheel of my MiGi with your new wheel, but I would like to.  My wheel is the standard flat 13-1/2″ OD wooden grip wheel that seemed to be standard on many/most of the TDr’s.  I assume that when you say 15-1/2″ you are talking OD – yes??  Also, it appears that because of the mount, your wheel, even though flat, sits closer to your stomach by an inch or two.  Is that correct?   I drilled and tapped the piece that goes in front of the wheel and around the key and turn signal so that I could mount a not too ugly horn button there and so I do not use the center mounted button.  Looks great.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy-

Good morning.

Thanks…

Yes  you are correct on all points..The Banjo wheel is an inch or two closer to your chest /stomach. I gotta say I do love the feel of the  wheel while driving…I have a 38 inch waist and this works ok for me …I can barely turn side ways to get  out  but as long as I slide in/out of  the seat  I am ok -otherwise its comfy while driving.

and of course Sally and Pudge have no problems Smile

jebarry2012-08-30 10:50:01

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

FYI

Here is a side shot of the Flat 4 banjo wheel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.