Front and Rear Parking Light Wires Questi

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Front and Rear Parking Light Wires Questi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Like the subject heading says; how do you folks with the different kits route the wires from the parking/turn signal/brake lights on the fenders into the front trunk areas? The instruction manuals say very little about how/where to route them and I’m trying to get different riuting views/ideas.

Thanks folks.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My brake lights go out through the fenders into the engine compartment and then hug it. Not sure but looks like maybe back through the passenger compartment under the rug. There’s no wire loom under the pan and I didn’t see anything like that in the tunnel, so My guess is along the channel inside the car.

The fronts are down under the front fender, inside a special little molded tunnel:

on the driver’s side they go in just above the steering box:

If my car didn’t have these channels & I was building or rebuilding it, I’d probably make them by glassing in a neatly bent bit of half or 3/4-inch aluminum pipe.

edsnova40551.6433680556

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow Ed! that is great thinking on the manufacturers part.

On Classic Roadsters Duchess, the front harness loom has a branch for the turn signals. It comes out from the lower part of the front compartment. A wire clamp is bolted to one of the headlight cradle bolts, holding it snug and it crosses under the top of the fender to the lamp socket.

There have been no issues in the 28 years the car has been on the road.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Rear harness, the same thing.

A branch comes of the rear harness and is clamped along the inner rear fender well.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Ed…..see my new technique to keep my posting lead? Only answer half the question. Then post again to answer the second half. 

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ll catch up to you yet, Paul, ’cause I’m posting about 5 BS posts for every useful one. Or 10.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanlks guys for the responses. I think I’m going to go with the small clamp route underneath each fender where they bolt onto the body panels. That’s once this big, bad rain and sleet and ice mixture that’s supposed to come goes buy.  

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Like I said Allen, I’m nearing 30 years on the road and have had zero problems with “exposed” wiring under the fenders.

I would not just leave the bare wires tho.

Mine are wrapped in the harness covering. If yours are just the wires, I would wrap them.

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’m planing on routing the wires through heat shrink and then shrinking the wrap around the wires. That’s what I normannly do anyway. After that I’ll clamp them.

Allen Caron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.