Front Brakes

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Front Brakes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom Lashley
    Participant

@toml

Last year I took my TD out for it’s first ride since I rebulit it.  I could barely stop the thing.  It has been on jackstands since then.  replaced master cylinder and all four wheel cylinders.  Still couldn’t get the front brakes to work.  Then it dawned on me the front brakes never have worked.  The orignal builder made the brake pedal pushrod too short, so the front brake master piston wasn’t moving enought.  Hope this helps anyone else having front brake problems.

Tom

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Tom. Did you get it fixed?

Tom Lashley
    Participant

@toml

Yeah..but it took alot of head scraching and two new master cylinders to figure it out.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I hear you about the head scratching.  I have a Daytona MiGi which had severe braking problems.  I was within a whisker of cutting a hole into the fiberglass behind the drivers wheel to allow me to get access to the bolts that hold the brake cylinder in place.  Turns out that I had read about others doing that.   Luckily, my gas tank was empty (it runs longitudinally in my TD) and I discovered that if I remove the tank, under where the tank sits, everything is in plain unobstructed view.  From there, it was rather easy.  Sometimes head scratching is a very good thing (else I would have a pretty good sized hole in my TD.).

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

I know what you mean about head scratching. If you’ve ever built something, anything, you’ve done your share. I’ve scratched my head so much over the years that I hardly have any hair left in that spot.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.