hand brake

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits hand brake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    migi4sale
    Participant

@migi4sale

I’ve got a Daytona MIGI that I’m replacing the hand brake handle on. It hasn’t been functional since I’e had it. Any tips on how to mount the assembly so it will work? Obviously it doesn’t work in the normal position. Any info will be appriciated.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My Duchess has the hand brake in the stock position. It’s a long reach under the dash, but it works. I’ve seen some that cut the brackets, bent the mounting plates up and welded in supports so that the handle was easier to reach. Not sure what manufacturer recommended that, but it seems to funciton well.

You wrote that it has not been functional since you bought your car. that does not sound like it’s because of the mounting. Is the cable broken? Frozen into the cable housing?

PMOSSBERG39384.4976967593

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

migi4sale
    Participant

@migi4sale

In the stock position the handle hits part of the firewall that juts back toward the back of the car. Doesn’t have enough travel to engage the brake. When I got the car the handle was in an upright position so you could engage the brake but the mechanism that locks it wouldn’t work. I guess I could modify the firewall but it seems like daytona would have had some way to make it work without doing that.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I agree Daytona must have had a way to work around this. I don’t have personal experience with that manufacturer’s car. But the mod I described earlier should have brought the ratcheting mechanism up with the rest of the handle. Hopefully some Daytona owners are reading this!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘hand brake’ is closed to new replies.