Hard start

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Hard start

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Phil MacGregor
    Participant

@sailor

Hi, I have a ford pinto 2.3 in a fiber fab kit that I built in 1989. My problem is starting after the engine is warm. It acts like a vapor lock and could very well be that so, what should I be doing to remedy this?  Sometimes I think the battery will coronary before it starts. Any advice or ideas would sure be appreaciated.

Phil MacGregor

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hi Phil, Welcome to the group!

If it’s a new problem it could be the winter blend gas boiling up now that warmer weather is here.  If so, some additive could help until you put summer blend gas in.  If not the blend, you may need to insulate some of the fuel lines.

Ringo

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi Phil,

Doubt that it’s vapor lock unless you have a really hot running engine. Do you get gas smell and black smoke when you do get it started? Wondering the float in the carb is working properly and if it’s flooding after you shut it down. A good way to deal with it if it is flooding is to hold the accelerator all the way to the floor (don’t pump it) until it starts.

Good luck!

Rich

Phil MacGregor
    Participant

@sailor

You may be right Rich, the engine coughs and bucks when it does start but I haven’t noticed the smell of gas. I will check it out and let you know. Thanks for the thinking.

Phil MacGregor

PS; I feel like I must have been old when dirt was young.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.