Has anyone made an MGTD looking trailer??

Home Forums General Discussion Has anyone made an MGTD looking trailer??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

I’m  feeling more confident in my MGTD and may actually take it for some trips next spring.  Although my wife and I could make it with just the car — I wondered if anyone had made or seen a trailer that looked like a mini MGTD???  billsflorida40496.8474537037

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Cool idea. What you’d want would be the back 1/4 of another kit body. But the TDs with trailers I’ve seen have used just a rectangular wagon. Maybe match the wheels.

This guy talks about his little trailer somewhere on the site. Says they were common and, by the looks of his, pretty plain jane:

I’d say your best bet would be to make a small box–say 40 x 48 x 18 inches, max–out of aluminum or galvanized angle stock and maybe nicely-finished marine plywood, or the same wood as on your dashboard. Buy or salvage a small trailer axle w/ some leaf springs and bolt those on. Then find some TD rear fenders and bolt them over the wheels. Paint to match your car. Tonneu cover it with the same kind of cover you have for the car. SWEET!

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Check out jwt693‘s photo’s in the  photo gallery. He has a trailer attached to his MG. I don’t know if he’s still active on this forum. You could try to PM him.

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

I was going to PM “JWT693 “– to get some info on their trailer — but they must not still be a member –or maybe they changed their file name.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Bill ,have you thought of looking at a motorcycle trailer ? many styles ,LIGHT and easy to tow, and look good and there many used ones out there.     Dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I was going to suggest the same thing…motorcycle trailers.

Paint ’em to match your car.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’ve also seen guys take car roof-carriers and bolt them to a small utility trainer.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I made up a trailer hitch for my Ford based MGTD this year.  Only to pull a small sailboat (Force 5).  The hitch is on the car but I haven’t road tested it yet. 

To many other things to play with, if I had one more wife I wouldn’t get anything done 🙂

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I pull a 14′ flat bed trailer with 12″ wheels behind mine. It pulls like a dream. On road trips I put my luggage behind the seat and use the trailer for my wife’s luggage . The trailer was made from a pop-up trailer frame. 

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

There was one pictured on the web that used the rear fenders from a TD on the trailer. I looked and can’t find it, but if I do I’ll post. It looked pretty good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.