Knock Off Wheel Torq

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Knock Off Wheel Torq

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Anyone know how much torq and how to measure it with knock off type wire wheels. My car came with a lead hammer that has been used to say the least. I was just wondering do you hammer on the spinner till it won’t move any further or is there a way to know how much is enough?????

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

My last 2 MGs both midget and B all I ever did was just hit them tight and never had trouble from them, they were the big nut type,,  Dan

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Don’t know about torq, but you always tighten to the rear. loosen towards front. Drivers side is not interchangable with the wifes side.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I think they’re opposite-threaded so that driving forward will tend to tighten them.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

just follow  DO and UNDO arrow MG nuts and wings are marked I think most after market must be also DanDan R40708.8951967593

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

The spinner nuts are marked “OFF” with an arrow in the direction. They also have a little ? shaped keeper to keep the spinner from backing off. This is my first set of knock off’s so I was just wondering how tight to make them. Didn’t want to over do it if you get my drift.

You would think there would be a better way to tighten these things other than a lead hammer. Some kind of torq multiplier spanner wrench or something. I have taken the rims off and put back on a couple of times since getting the car and always kringe when I take the lead hammer to them to tighten them up. Something about beating on a $3,000 plus set of rims with a hammer, even a lead one, that makes me a bit uneasy.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You mean this?

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I have 3-eared knock-offs on my wire wheel covers. They all seem to tighten clockwise on both sides.  I’ve sent the company in that link above a question to see if that wrench will work with my set.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Here’s the response: (At least it came quickly)

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your email.
    Sorry, this won't fit the 3 eared version.
    Cheers,
    Robert

On Jun 15, 2011, at 9:04 PM, (MGLondonRoadste) wrote:

> I have 3- eared knock offs on my wire wheel covers. Will this wrench
    > (spanner) work on my knock offs?
    > British Wheel Wrench, Eared Nut
    > Part
    > #P1077...................................................... ..........
    > ...
    >
    > .Suggested Retail: $54.95
    > (Fits Jaguar 2-eared knock-offs).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

thanks for the link. Looks like just what the doc ordered. Does anyone in the group have one of these or know someone that does?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The other way on this is to get a length of hardwood ply and cut a hole in it in the shape of your spinners. There’s your wrench.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Clark & Clark sells a “Protectice Knockoff Wrench”. It’s a 17 ply lamination that fits over the knock off. You still hit it with the hammer. $29.95.

http://www.clarkandclarkinc.com/1098_wrench.htm

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s what I’m talking about. That material is in my scrap bin, so my cost would be about $0 + a half hour of fiddling with the jig saw.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Post pictures. Perhaps you can improve on the idea. A collapsible/removable handle would reduce the need to hit a piece of wood with a hammer. Add a few bits of brass and people will think that it came from the factory. 

A wooden wrench. What a concept.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’d do it if I had spinners, B. I don’t, so I wont. Plenty other projects pending and, yeah, there will by pics.

BTW, what’s the big deal? The stuff was made to be hit with a hammer. Why not do it?

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

My knock offs are three eared and chromed, although I think it might be cheap chrome.  There is a small chip on one of them, like it peeled off. I’d be hesitant to hit them with a metal hammer.

MGLondonRoadste40713.085625

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Why don’t you use the Clark and Clark protective knockoff wrench picture as a pattern and make your own with plywood and a jigsaw? Be the first on  your block to own a three eared knockoff wrench.   

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Another method: get a 8 or 10-inch bit of 2×4. Rest an end on your knockoff ear & hit that with any hammer you want. 

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

A piece of 2 x 4 isn’t in keeping with the class of the car. We’re talking Grey Poupon here, not Cub Food’s mystery mustard by the jug.

What about replacing the lead hammer with a carver’s mallet? Oiled hardwood handle, dense rubber face, lead insert. This is a work of art. Michaelangelo would have used one had it been available.  

Carver's Mallet - Woodworking

Or a wood worker’s mallet? This one makes a great noise when you hit something with it. Think hardwood baseball bat. Thwack. If it isn’t heavy enough to move the spinner, you could hit the mallet with the lead hammer.

I can hear the stories now. “Abbington stopped putting them in cars during WWII. Wood shortage you know. Hard to come by now in this condition.”    

Available from Lee Valley & Veritas 

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=43688&cat=1 ,41504

Carpenter's Beech Mallets - Woodworking

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Where did you find the Carver’s mallet with the lead insert and rubber face? My search only found wooden ones.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

The Lee Valley URL will take you to a page that lists Brass, Veritas Cabinetmaker’s, Carpenter’s Beech and Carver’s mallets. I have a carver’s mallet. It will hurt whatever you point it at and not leave a mark. It’s the ultimate dead blow mallet. It would make a classy knockoff hammer. Useful too if you had to defend yourself against car thief wannabes.  

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Lots of good ideas. Glad I posted the question. I especially like the laminated plywood version.

I work at a plastics fabrication shop here in Baton Rouge and have access to just about anything in plastics you can think of. Think I’ll try to fab one out of 1″ thick Nylon sheet. Nylon will take all the impact you want to give it and not leave any marks on the spinner.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I like the plastic idea but these “purists” here…I dunno…

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The car is “plastic”.

Why shouldn’t the knock-off wrench be plastic? 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.