Lowes show

Home Forums General Discussion Lowes show

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Been away from the TD a while. Lots of work and lots of heat. Finally installed the points eliminator kit yesterday, timed it (by ear, mainly, since static-timing to 4 before made her run like Poopalong Cassidy. She idled best with a light on about 45 (!!) before, as depicted on my crank pulley, but that scared the heck out of me so I spun the dizzy back ’till it was closer to 10-12 before, didn’t lose much idle, and hit the road) …

Headed down to Lowes in Abingdon for the regular Friday cruise. I’ve written about this one before. On nice days its 500 cars–everything from your typical 26 blue Chevelle 396s to monster trucks and tuners. Whole line of Miatas this time next to a rough-looking early ’90s RX7 with an LS-2 stuffed in it. Lots of fat fender sweetness too, one rat-bug with brass knuckles serving as a hood handle.

Last time I was here I saw “East Coast” Bruce Stumpp in a wild OHC-4-powered T-rod.

Bout an hour in I returned to Bridget and, as usual, she was getting her share of looks. Guy and his boy are standing over it, and the man is saying, “on these cars, the floorboards are made of wood.”

The kid’s not getting the concept. The floor is obviously carpet, see?

So I told dad what Bridget really is, and he looked genuinely surprised. Turns out that, back in the day, he had a job doing errands for a dentist who happened to own two TDs. “One of my jobs was to wash them,” he says.

The kid, meanwhile, is checking out the steering wheel. I asked if he wanted to sit in.

Told the father his job now was to get shots of TJ sitting in every British(ish) machine on the lot. Pointed him to a Sunbeam Tiger, a Morris Mini (way cool; hadn’t seen it here before), and the inevitable pack of Cobras on the back curb.

Don’t know if he did it.

Made it home early and Bridget actually feels peppier now than she did. Need to get a new timing light & set her right, 28 before at 3000 rpm. Unfortunately, my crank pully has just the two notches, at TDC and about 4 before . . .

edsnova40761.3696412037

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice story Ed. That kid will ALWAYS remember what you did!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Cool story Ed. Glad you liked the points eliminator. I was going to add a modual to mine last year and discovered my distributor was on its last leg. I found a distributor at O’reilly that comes with a modual built in and ready to go with a match coil for under $130.00. This is a vacum and mechanical advance unit. Not only does my car start easier, but i swear it has more pep. Could be just the upgrade from the worn distributor, but i have to admit for me setting the points in that small area needed 3 hands with only room for one hand and I dont regret going with the electronic over points.

Mike

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What “points eliminator” kits did you guys use?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=vw10&am p;year=1974&make=Volkswagen&model=Beetle&vi=1280 214

Paul this is the link to the distributor I bought from O’Reillys. My distributor was worn out. I bought this new one with the electronic modual already installed and a matched coil complete. It is a Richporter VW10. The electronics are made in Canada, but more than likely the distributor is made in China for them. I have had this installed in my car for over a year now and have been extremely happy with it. O’Reillys says it has a lifetime warrenty. You cant see it in the photo, but it is a vacum advance with canister.

Mike

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Ed

I just wanted to comment on the boys grin in that photo. It says it all!!! I have had the same smile when Im behind the wheel myself.

That 68 Camero in the background isnt half bad either

Mike

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I used the usual Pertronix kit.

edsnova40761.8554513889

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mike, upper right corner of the TJ shot shows a copy of my old ride. There’s enough there that you can get it, year make and model, if you’re good.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Ed. I figured Pertronix. Just wanted to be sure.

PMOSSBERG40761.8733333333

Paul Mossberg

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Ed the 68 Camero was easy even with half a car(no wing vents couldnt be a 67). Now the other is more of a challenge. At 1st I thought 67 Fairlane, but im going with 66 Chevy II .

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Thanks for the link Mike – Just what I was looking for – the vac advance are

hard to find for a good price – will mate up to my new 2057 engine w/ dual

Dellorto carbs – they say they have a vac port – just need to locate

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Very good, Mike. Actually it’s a ’67 Nova SS. The trunk plates differed slightly from ’66 to ’67.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

The article and video in Florida and recent local shows are examples of free PR that exposes the car culture to an affordable collector car. Each of us should try to show our cars when we can. It’s not about the trophies, although a judge in a regular driver class just might be weary of 60s Chevys and give a TD replica exclusivity points. We will see more forgotten TDs come out of garages when more people become aware of them.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I wish my London Roadster was show quality.  I feel there is still too much rust on places that are hard for me to get to, and cracks in the fiberglass that I would love to get repaired. And I’m still looking to get a showroom finish shine on her, too.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

MGLR…

That’s called patina!

Paul Mossberg

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Your London Roadster is show quality.

Cars in the Survivor class are prized as rolling examples of how a marque was originally assembled. Yours is even unrestored. What a find!   

Besides, who expects what looks like a 60 year old car to be pristine.

You win just by being at a show. There will be more people looking at your TD replica than at cars with paint jobs that cost many times what you paid for your sweet little ride. Your trophy is a visitor who asks you where he or she can find one.   

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I second what BDriver said. There is something special about these cars. The people who still remember the days gone by when they courted  in ”a car like that”,as well as the people who realize that cars wern’t always built with the creature comforts that most people now consider necessities., they all are reminded of happier times when they see a TD replica. The fact that we didn’t have to break the bank to get one is just one more reason to be glad that we own one.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I agree  with Bd and Larry. When I look at my car I see the things I still need to do, but when others see it they look at it like it was on the showroom floor. I think what Larry said about “reminded of happier times” is right on the button. My car seems to get more response from people  older than 45 and younger than 15 . The 20 somethings with a cell phone glued to their head hardly give a second glance, almost an I see one of those everyday reaction.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.