Magneto for a VW engine

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Magneto for a VW engine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Being that I’m a pilot and love that the planes engines use a magneto and not need the4 battery to keep running, I was wondering if anyone has installed a magneto on their vw engine. And if so…where they found the magneto. I’ve searched the parts houses and have come up with nothing.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

What’s the point? (get it?–nudge nudge) Go with a Pertronix & call it a “magneto” if you want. Normal automotive distributors’ll still run with no battery if your alternator/generator is turning. (ask me how I know). And if the generator quits you better pull over anyway since, unlike on an airplane, it usually means your fan isn’t turning & you’re about to overheat.

Here’s a tech article on your air-cooled VW’s many ignition choices. Not many folks think a magneto is called for on these, save the FAA (and maybe someone building a replica “Inch Pincher”)?

If you really need a magneto, with all its extra size and weight, go here. It’s only $1,400 plus shipping. Such a deal! Don’t forget to order a pinion gear too for another $26.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed, Thanks for the tech article. Interesting reading. I’ll probably stick with my 009 dizzy,1641 with dual 34mm carbs and doghouse oil cooler. I’d love to have a Bernie Bergman fan shroud but they too are very costly. BTW…Had a lead on a chassis but it fell through. I’ll keep looking. Stay warm out there!

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Keep looking for that chassis, they’re out there.

BTW, anyone have any idea why a magneto would cost $1400? Seems a bit fat for–what is it?–100 year old technology? Seems like just like cake costs 5x normal price if it’s called “wedding cake,” parts cost 5x more if they’re “aircraft parts.”

Or am I too cynical?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Ed, it’s called demand…magneto’s are old technology and do not make the voltage of today’s coils/MSD type “boxes”. Most race cars don’t even use them anymore. 

Get rid of the “009”, they’re horrible. Get an “010” or “019” from Glenn Ring on the SAMBA. Install a Pertronix (you may have modify the rotor slightly).You won’t believe the difference.

If you dual carbs have a vaccum port, you can also get an “034” which is better than the “009” too.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Yes my dual 34mm delorotos each have a vacuum port. At the moment I have a vacuum hose connecting them to each other. Is the 034 dizzy a dual vacuum or willI have to “T” the two and connect it to the 034?

Allen Caron

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

That tube you have is acting as balance tube between the manifolds. I’d connect the “034” vacuum to a tee in that line.

I have a brand new “034” in the box with a Pertronix Ignitor installed. I bought it from Aircooled.net for $250. I never installed it, buying an “010” centrifugal from Glenn Ring and installing a #1844 Pertronix Ignitor instead.

If you are interested $200 takes it including the shipping to you.

The “034” vacuum type distributor adds more total timing (approximately 10-12 degrees) at full manifold vacuum, increasing the gas mileage and supposedly lowering engine temps. It will also relieve that flat spot the “009” has.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.