MGTD upholstery kits

Home Forums General Discussion MGTD upholstery kits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jill Hartman
    Participant

@jill

I am looking for a distributor of interior carpeting and upholstery kits for an 1952 MGTD Replica (1971 VW frame) Can anyone direct me to the right company?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Unfortunatley Jill, these cars are “one-offs” and none of the manufacturers have been in business for years. For the most part, not much original MGTD interior parts fit them either.

Your best bet is to hire a good local auto upholstery shop and let them use what is left of your old stuff as patterns.

I recently built new wooden seat bottoms and a back. Then I bought two leather hides from Keleen Leathers (Chicago). I had a local guy fabricate new the new leather components seats using my old mildewed vinyl seat covers as patterns. He also fabricated new “map” pocketed door panels with the same leather hides.

I psoted a picture of the finished products which I still have not installed in the car. Frank will have to shrink it to fit here.

Installing new carpet in your VW based ride could be accomplished easily, the floors are flat, except for the tunnel. Keep in mind that VW Beetle stuff would not be direct fit and is very expensive from the “Bug” restoration houses.

William J Collins
    Participant

@bill-collins

Mark ..Jill never said if her MG is a CMC or Fibrafab..if it is MGMAGIC will probaly still have some kits to fit the seats and door panals ..And also Tops

Jill Hartman
    Participant

@jill

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the rapid response.  The leather seats and side door panels are inspiring – I think I’ll check out my options here in Southern California.

The kit is a FibraFab – and I found MGMAGIC. They emailed their catalog to me this evening.  My precious car was rear-ended about a week ago. I believe that it would be best if the insurance company replaced instead of repaired the parts, but I’m not sure. MGMAGIC told me that they don’t use the fiberglass ‘spare tire’ anymore. I’m concerned about the clearance for the air filter if I went to the suggest real spare and bracket.

Would you happen to know anything about this?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Bill now owns the car I built. I made a “donut” shaped ring that sandwiches between the spare tire and the fiberglass engine cover. Bill has pics of it and there are other pics on another thread on this Forum.

I’d stay away from using old upholstery from MG MAGIC or anyone else. Keep in mind you are still buying old material. Even if it was never used, it’s usually dried out and will not last long.

My interior still needs carpet (I’ll fabricate it) and the top will get replaced by one made of Stayfast fabric or I will install a “zipped down the middle” tonneau cover made of Stayfast. Again, made by the local upholsterer. I have no side curtains.

I wish Southern California was a day drive away…that’s the car freak capital of the planet! I’m sure you can find an upholstery shop that could re-do anything on your MG.

Hope the damage is not too bad on your toy!

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I just bought a new top and carpet set from MG Magic.It is not old stock,they make them there.The black top they had in stock,I think if I wanted a tan I was going to have to wait until they sat down and made another batch.The top was a good fit,and with the side curtains was cheaper than a local trimmer without curtains.

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I forgot to say that the top is stayfast,and if you give him the numbers embossed on the firewall on the passenger side under the hood he will tell you the date the car was sold,where,and to who.That is,if it is a fiberfab.I have 2 of these cars.One I bought because the owner said it was too hard to deal with MG Magic.I have found nothing of the sort there.Willing to help you solve your problems over the phone.My top was sent out the day they got thier check.Same with a bumper I just bought.If you do buy from him,make sure you get the new address to send money to.The old address will forward it,but it is unreliable.The worst part is,no credit cards.You have to send a check but he will ship the day he gets it.

Jill Hartman
    Participant

@jill

Hi!

I’ve inserted a picture of the accident. (Took me a Coons age to get it off of my cell phone) The fiberglass, bumper, ‘spare’ tire and bumper mounts have been repaired. As I expected, the new shiny paint makes the car look like its been in an accident. The gel coat doesn’t have near the shine. This insurance company has given my car a $5,000.00 value. Between the body repair and the damage to the 5 month old engine they are saying that they have filled their responsibility. 

It appears that the battle has only just begone!!!Angry

Thanks for the info about the upholstery sets from MG MAGIC – The cost really adds up when you say custom, and I haven’t found an upholstery shop that was very excited over the job.  I plan to investigate furthur.

Bye for now,

JillWink

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘MGTD upholstery kits’ is closed to new replies.