Moss wind-wing fitment on FF kit

Home Forums General Discussion Moss wind-wing fitment on FF kit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I took advantage of Moss’s sale that just ended and ordered a set of their wind-wings at 25% off, and just received them on Saturday.

A quick check of them yesterday shows that I can only mount them in a groove on the front of my early FF kit’s windshield frame. (There is no groove on the cockpit side.)  But, the mounting brackets seem a bit too thick to fit into that groove without banging them in with a rubber hammer or something…
    Has anyone else expereinced this fitment issue? How did you resolve it.  I don’t like the idea of banging on a windshield frame, risking a stress crack in the windshield glass or something…
    TIA!

KentT2013-06-25 12:11:59

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Kent, I have squeezed them in with a pair of giant (16″) channel lock pliers but a “C” clamp might work, perhaps even better. 

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Thanks, Roy!  Those are good tips – I guess I just didn’t expect that tight of a fit, especially since they lock in with a set screw.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Kent. I did a test fit of mine and each mount fit tight. Some a little more tight than others. So what I did was carefully file the mount tab that fits into the groove/channel on the windshield frame. I filed enough so they fit snug but didn’t require anything more than hand pressure to press them in. My wind wings glass doesn’t come predrilled. That’s what worries me the most…cracking the wings when drilling the holes. Slow going methinks. newkitman2013-06-25 12:33:35

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Thanks, Allen.  The ones I received from Moss came pre-drilled, and loosely assembled.  Looks to be decent quality — the have the same brand label as Moss’ replacement mirrors.  More made in China stuff, I imagine, but the quality looks good.  Hard to tell what the quality of the metal is though…

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

File them down to thin them out so they fit into the slot.

Had to do the same on my Duchess.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I was checking the box that has my wind wings and noticed a small package with the mounting instructions and the tiny packet that supposedly had the black set screws. I say supposedly because they are not there. I better check the packing paper in the box. Those Allen screws are to secure the bracket to the windshield frame.
    newkitman2014-02-12 21:24:37

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Should not be to hard to find – Ace hardware maybe? I have a bunch of set screws I can donate if you can tell me the size and threat count.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Second thought – call Moss and let them know they are missing – they should ship out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.