Motorcycle Mirror

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Motorcycle Mirror

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to the Forums’ suggestion I installed two motorcycle mirrors my car.  It took some doing to figure out a mounting position that would allow proper adjustment, but it turned out great.  I bought the two ‘Harley Davidson’ mirrors for $15, and they look great on the car.

Jack

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is a second pic …

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Looks good! Are you one of our lucky members that never has to worry about side curtains and rain & cold?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, good old Southern California, where it rained like crazy today.

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

I used a Honda motorcycle mirror on mine.  I made a simple bracket that mounts to the slot in the fold down windshield.  I used a 1″ x 1″ piece of  L shaped aluminum about 2″ long, drilled two holes for mounting.  I think you can see it on the calendar shot.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I put a motorcycle mirror on my London Roadster. I used a die to extend the threads further up the mirror  shaft. Then I tapered one side of a nut [made it look  like a small lug nut] and ran it up on to the new threads on the mirror shaft. I then removed the lower windshield frame bolt and enlarged it enough to allow the mirror shaft fit thru it.The tapered nut on the mirror fits into the countersink hole in the windshield frame and another nut tightens on the mirror shaft under the cowel.The mirror shaft replaces the lower windshield frame bolt . This does not require any new holes however it may be necessary to trim a small slot in the front edge of the side curtain  to clear the mirror shaft. This will probably not work well on the passenger side as the drivers view of the mirror will be blocked by the dash since the mirror is located several inches forward of the dash.

Ican’t post pictures as I no longer have the car .

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Larry, that sounded like a nice solution, using the pre-existing hole for the mirror mount as well as the windshield.
    I found these on ebay and mounted them similar to what stacks did. They match the mirrors and stalks that are up on the front fenders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200313736624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:I T&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I’ll try and post a pic. I can easily see out the left one and it works well even with the side curtain on. The right sided one is partly obscured by the curve of the dash but if you shift you head a tiny bit you can see out of the whole mirror, but it’s functional anyway without having to do that.

PMOSSBERG40890.4542939815

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.