Need False Nose

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Need False Nose

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Does anybody have a false nose, the one for an MG not the kind with a mustache and glasses, that they would like to part with?

Thanks,

Pat

fareoh@gmail.com

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Did you try MG Magic in Miami, FL?

Their phone number and price list are here in the forums. Search for MG Magic.

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

I will give them a call.  Parts lists as SO.  I was assuming they ordered from Moss.  Moss has them backordered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

MG Magic is not a real “MG” distributor. I was told in the 1990’s that they were a couple of older guys in Miami that stockpile mostly CMC/Fiberfab and Datona Migi kit parts. They would probably never be buying from Moss and re-selling the stuff.

I tried to get some CMC/FiberFab Ford based TD parts from them a few years ago and they said they really only have stuff for the VW based cars made by the manufacturers I mentioned.

They had no British Coach Works or Classic Roadsters Ltd (Duchess) parts either.

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

I guess I made another assumption, that the false nose, among other parts, were real MG.  I plan to call Barry, at MG Magic, later today,

I bought a Daytona MG and the front grille and slats are one piece of painted fiberglass. I can’t really afford to buy a chrome grille shell.  I did find one but it was rather expensive for me.  My thought was to cut out the fake grille slats and put chrome slats in.  I was then going to put the chrome false nose on leaving the grille shell painted.  I have seen a couple of cars that had been done like that and they look ok. 

The vehicle I bought needs a lot of work and I was going to try and not spend a lot of money on cosmetics just now.

I’ll let you know  what MG Magic says about the nose.

Pat

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Pat,

A real TD had a radiator behind the grille shell.

I am familiar with the cost and availability of a chrome grille shell. A few years ago they became no longer available from the MG “Repro” vendors. I had mine re-chromed in 2005 and it’s still in the wrapping.

The way you describe your plans looks cool in my opinion, the grille shell the same color as the body with chrome slats. I am a street rodder and it smacks of ’32 Ford. Some guys are powder coating the earlier Ford grille shells (Models A & T) the same color as the body. It looks great.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pink MG39737.4728125

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Pat, If the fiberglass grille you have does not have some type of support behind it ,it may not be strong enough to allow the removal of the area where the slats go. My London Roadster replica ,which uses the Daytona body has a solid fiberglass grille shell with the [slatted] area painted black and stainless steel strips attached as slats. You could leave yours solid and use glue on side trim availible at auto zone or advance auto to do this.This would allow you to have a waterproof trunk if that is something you would like.I made a false nose from a piece of stainless I had in the garage,not first class but better then a blank space.You can see this in the members gallery in the center picture.        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;    

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Larry,

Using glue to attach the slats is something I hadn’t thought of.  I”ll have to look at that.  My grille shell is a separate piece so water leakage wouldn’t be a problem.  As for being strong enough you’re right it might not be strong enough.  I had thought by attaching the slats to the rear of the shell it would strengthen it enough.  But not having to cut it out would certainly be easier.  I’ll have to take some of the slats I have and temporarily attach them to the outside.  Your front grille looks great.  I would like to see a close up.

Pat

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Pat, Look at the In The Pink photo gallery. It shows a grille like I was referring to in the lower right corner.You can enlarge it to get a better view. Larry

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Larry,

I looked at the photo you suggested and it does look pretty good.  My front shell is a little different.  I’ll have to hold some slats up to mine and see how it would look.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Pat

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

I checked with Brad at MG Magic and they do not have the false nose available. 

So I’m still looking if anyone runs across one.

Pat

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Nevermind

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Nevermind…  found one…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.