New member. Need advice

Home Forums General Discussion New member. Need advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barb Kirkwood
    Participant

@barb

My dad talked to me about purchasing an MG TD car kit when I was a teen back in the 60’s.  We never got around to it but I never lost interest. I have 0 knowledge about cars, but he knew lots and had built a car and an airplane as a teen/young man. I have finally purchased a TD built with a late 70s Volkswagen motor.  I will take possession soon but need lots of advice on where to take it, how to maintain it, where to find parts.  It will reside near Sterling in Northern Virginia.  It is reported to have a few lights out but I don’t know yet if it is just bulbs or a wiring issue.  I need to title and license it in Virginia.  Any advice as I gently and with much trepidation move into what I know will be the joys of owing a TD replica?    Barb

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Barbara

Welcome!

Not familiar with any mechanics in your area.

Do you know the manufacturer of your TDr? There are manuals from many companies in the web site Library. And there are a full set of electric schematics under the Classic Roadsters Ltd section.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

One book you should have in your library if you own an air-cooled VW engine is How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive Step By Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot by John Muir.

It is out of print, yet there seem to be plenty of used ones on eBay and Amazon or even antique stores in your area.

Even if you don’t do the work yourself, you should get a better understanding of Air-Cooled VW engines.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome to the group, Barbara! Dale Schumacher refurbished one of these many years ago and he’s nearby. His friend Rick did one about four years ago and he’s also in NoVA. Many of us meet at the Carlisle Import and Performance Nationals in May, about 2 hours north of you. You could meet other TDr owners there and learn about the ins and outs.

No need to bring the car but of course it’s encouraged!

🙂

Oh…and about the lights? Check and re-do your grounds first. That’s almost always the main issue,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.