New Member with Questions

Home Forums Site Membership New Member with Questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Stucky
    Participant

@stucky414

Thanks Paul for letting me into the group.

I am not a current owner of a MG replica, but I am interested in becoming one.  My Grandfather has one that I am thinking of taking off of his hands.  The problem is that I don’t have a lot of information about it and while researching you find a lot of information and prices for TD models.  My Grandfather’s is a ’39 TB model with a VW engine, which I believe is from a ’73 super beetle.  I am told that it was built by a Cadillac dealer in the Detroit area, but I don’t know where the kit is from.   My Grandfather has had it since the mid-80’s, it has low mileage, and he has kept very good care of the car.  Any thoughts on the TB model versus the TD?  The T-series where all pretty similar designs with minor tweaks.  Would the cost of the TB be similar to TDs?

I am just looking for some insight into these replicas.

Thanks,

Mike

Troy, MI

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

I believe I responded outside of the forum.

Are you certain about the model TB? I’m not aware of any reproductions of the TA, TB or TC. If the car is truly a TB reproduction, it may be a one-off build. This would be a very cool find. And I bet the members here would be as interested in learning about it as you are.

Would you post a couple pictures? Instructions are in the Picture Gallery section of the forum.

Most replicas were of the TD. And there were a couple manufacturers of TF replicas.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike Stucky
    Participant

@stucky414

mg-2

Here are the only pictures I have of my Grandfather’s replica.  It looks like other T-series, but I don’t know enough of the differences between the years and kits available.  Any help in identifying the background would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

MiGi TD replica, I think!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Mike,

Definitely a TD replica.

I agree with Ed. I believe this is a Daytona Automotive Fiberglass MiGi.

Here’s a great thread with descriptions of just about all the major manufacturers. Scroll down to the Daytona MiGi post. I think you’ll see the details align with your car.

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/manufacturer-comparison/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Paul Mossberg.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike Stucky
    Participant

@stucky414

Thanks for the info everyone!

I’ll let you know what I end up doing…

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

The detailing looks identical to my London Roadster in its original form. The pinstripe, whitewall tires, fog lamps, horn placement.

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

“Cadillac dealer in the Detroit” — definitely the London Roadster. It is very much like the Daytona though I have found several differences over the years.

Look in the site’s Library under Manuals. There’s some info there about the LR.

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Mike Stucky
    Participant

@stucky414

Thanks Stephen.  I think you may be right on with the London Roadster.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I want to see this!

TB model

Is hard to distinguish from a TC

But of course the TD has smaller wheels and tires and somewhat wider fenders.

Mike Stucky
    Participant

@stucky414

I just want to update everyone that I pulled the trigger and bought my Grandfather’s London Roadster.  What a blast to drive.  The kids love it.  Since it hadn’t been driven in some time I had to replace the battery and I have seemed to have sprung an oil leak, or two.  If anyone has a recommendation on a mechanic in the Detroit area I would appreciate it.  The car is going to need some TLC.

Eric Fowler
    Participant

@mcgruff

Mike,

Congratulations on your purchase! Since it hasn’t been run in a while, your London Roadster could probably use some attention to routine maintenance. Here’s a link to a sane schedule: http://www.vw-resource.com/maintenance.html#maintenance. I’d recommend doing everything on the list, all the way down to the wheel bearings. Unless you have detailed records, it’s best to start with a clean slate. A couple of things I do differently:

Oil change: religiously every 3000 miles or yearly. Don’t use the drain plug, pull the strainer and clean it. Unless an aftermarket filter was installed, VW engines don’t have an oil filter. That’s why oil changes are so important. Refill with a good quality 20W-50 (for spring/summer/fall) petroleum (non-synthetic) oil and ZDDP additive for the cam lobes and tappets. Don’t skip the ZDDP. If you do, the camshaft will wear prematurely.

Valve lash adjustment: religiously every 3000 miles. Stock spec for aluminum push rods is .006. Lash for aftermarket chrome moly rods is a matter of some debate. I set mine for loose zero, meaning I can spin the rod in its cup with the piston at TDC, but can’t put even a .001 feeler gauge between the valve stem and the adjuster foot. Adjust valve lash when the engine is stone cold, as in after sitting all night. You’ll be surprised how much better an air-cooled VW runs right after valve lash adjustment.

Good luck with your new TD replica, and welcome to the group!

1952 MG TD FiberFab MiGi, incomplete. 1974 Beetle tub, 1969 1500 cc single port.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.