Piston Frozen in Cylinder

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Piston Frozen in Cylinder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Photo of my#4 piston frozen in the cylinder after soaking in  Murphy’s Mystery Oil. Any suggestions?  I’m thinking cutting wheel.

Frozen #4 Cylinder 002

newkitman2013-02-11 17:25:07

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen, what are you trying to save here?

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Try soaking top of the piston and the bore with Coca-Cola overnight. Next morning pour the Cola out and spray with penetrating oil. Let sit for a while and try to drive the piston out the bottom. This worked for me on a corroded piston.

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

I assume you want to remove the piston from the rod and can’t get to the retaining clip for the wrist pin. 

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Is it worth saving ??  Dan R

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Not trying to save it…trying to get the piston off the rod. But I’ll probably just tear the engine down the rest of the way and pitch everything EXCEPT the case and flywheel. The rebuild kit comes with everything else.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Any idea why it seized?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

It appears that water had gotten into the engine and my guess is the rings rusted to the cylinder wall.

Allen Caron

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Best penetrating oil is Seafoam….

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Got the engine torn down. Needed to know what size bearings to order with the kit. If it wasn’t for the #2 bearing I wouldn’t need to align bore it but…the bore is 0.020 and there is a ridge that can be felt in the #2 bearing land. Going to 0.040 bearings and the thrust appears to be good.The #4 cylinder was in fact the culprit. PLUS some permatex got around the internal oil passages and starved the #4 cylinder of oil. The oil ring came apart and hung up the cylinder. I’ll clean up the case tomorrow so I can bring the case to the machinist Monday. He’ll get it at lunchtime and says he’ll have her ready by 4PM that afternoon so I can bring it home. $25 to do the align bore.

I’d like to add a note to those building engines. I have been building engines my entire life including professionally while in the Air Force. Permatex is used to ASSIST the sealing of gaskets. It is NOT intended to be the actual gasket. When you apply permatex use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. Do not make the common mistake that if a little does a little good a lot does a whole lot of good. A lot is usually too much…as the engine I just tore down is proof.

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.