Side Mounted Spare Tire

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Side Mounted Spare Tire

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Just wondering if any has, or thinks mounting the spare tire on the side and into one of the front fenders. Maybe not a good idea for the TD but maybe so. Look at the photo and then offer opinions please.

The car in the photo is a 37 Jaguar SS-100 on a VW chassis with IRS and 1776 engine. I think it gives a little character mounting the spare like this.

Thanks

newkitman40569.4077199074

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, I looked at a side view of my car and it appears that the only way to mount the spare on the side would be to cut a deep recess in the fender. Many classic cars used the side mounted spares but most had the recess in the fender which takes away from the overall appearence in my opinion. It looks to me that the Jag fenders extend out from the front farther than the TD fenders which allows the tire to mount above the fender. It’s your car and you can build it however you desire but IMHO a TD would look like something was missing without the spare on the rear of the car. Most cars with side mounted spares used one on both sides of the car to match things up.

Good luck whichever route you take.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m with Larry. I think the Jag is a few inches longer in the hood. Six cylinder, ya know. Don’t believe the spare could go on a TD like that and look “right.”

Great on an SS 100 though! (Here’s maybe the one to get) (though I think I like the C-type even better).

Allard too.

Those are both too rich for my blood, though; I’m sticking with Bridget, with her spare out back, as Abingdon intended.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

OK Allen, you asked for opinions.

Here’s mine in a nutshell – Don’t do it. To my eye, the proportions are all wrong.

The VW based SS-100 Jaguars have an extension on the front of the VW pan that moves the front torsion tubes out at least 12 inches, and it might be more like eighteen. My memory is a little foggy on this, but it is definitely no less than 12.

You would need a DEEP recess in the MG TD fender so the tire will clear the door.

There is probably room. But when you are done, the lower edge of that recess will be several inches lower than the bottom of your running board. And you will only have a few inches of clearance to the ground, to the back of the front tire and to the door.

And as Larry said, the back of the car will be sorely lacking without a tire, unless you plan to leave one there too.

This is REALLY amateurish, I don’t have photoshop and I’m not an artist. But I tried to sketch what this would look like.

That said, it’s your car! It’s not an original TD. So have at it!

PMOSSBERG40569.5823263889

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul et al,

Wasn’t really thinking of doing it because I wasn’t sure what it would look like. Just fishing for everyone else’s thoughts. And after looking at your neato rendition I’m definitely NOT looking at going that way. Thanks for all your honest opinions.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Just my humble opinion…but I think that is a wise decision Allen.

PMOSSBERG40569.6405555556

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks for the sketch, Paul. That’s uber helpful.

Doesn’t look as bad as I feared . . .

Still not gonna do it though.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Like my Dad said “Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.