Speedometer Cable length and source

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Speedometer Cable length and source

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

Hello,   I need to get a Speedometer cable for my Chevette based MGTD.   How long should it be — and does anyone have a good source?   Do you recommend the standard one from the chevette ( I do not have one ) —  or one that is special made?  

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Bill,

We need to know what speedometer you have? Is it mechanical or electronic?

Most of these kits use an aftermarket electronic speedometer with a Hall Effect sender that goes in the transmission speedometer drive. So, after the speedometer is in the dashboard and the sender is screwed in the trans, only a few wires are required to be hooked up.

Some of the older Classic Instruments speedometers use a very short mechanical cable to remotely mounted Hall Effect sender. The wires come out of the sender to the speedometer and there are “dip” switches on the back of the speedometer to dial it in. A real PITA, these early set ups. This may be what you have.

Most of the newer electronic speedometers are programmble too (no “dip” switches)…and the senders screw directly to the transmission.

Let us know what you have

Pink MG40396.4426736111

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

MIne is purely a mechanical cable hook up.  It would screw into the trans and run up front –then back  through the fire wall and into the back of the gauge.  The “VINTAGE” guage has a threaded shaft to connect to.  Also it came with an adapter kit which allows what is called a push in type of connection.   The length would  likely  to be about 65 inches.  

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Sounds like it’s the stock Chevette cable, but it may have been supplied with the gauge.

For stock cables:

I found a 61″ cable on http://www.rockauto.com by using Chevrolet/1986/Chevette/Body-Interior as the application look-up.

Dorman #03158 (61″) for the 4 speed manual and #03159 (80″) for the 5 speed manual and automatic.

ATP #Y814 (61″) for the 4 speed manual and #Y815 (80″) for the 5 speed manual and automatic.

Hope this helps. If you use http://www.rockauto.com use this 5% discount code in the “how did you hear about us” box on checkout: 36674412857765

There are pictures of the cables on the website. They look like push-in, so you’ll need to use your little adapter…a spring loaded clip?

Pink MG40396.5808564815

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

Just what I needed —- Thanks,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.