Speedometer

Home Forums General Discussion Speedometer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

You guys are probably getting tired of me.

First, while fitting the gauges into the wood dash I came up with two things. Either my dash wood is extra thick or the mounting brackets are to long. Can’t get the mounting bracket onto the gauges because the legs won’t let me get down that far. Guess I’ll have to cut the bracket legs.

Second, I noticed my speedometer is in KPH with MPH on the inside. Is that the way everyone else’s speedometer reads? Nice that the MPH is there but I’m used to seeing them marked the other way around with KPH on the inner. This will be interesting driving when she’s assembled and on the road. Anyone make the Vintage Speedometer in MPH?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My old speedo was marked that way–Old Classic Instruments jobby that went to about 85mph.

You could bend the mount bracket too.

PS: To replace the old speedo, which read 20 percent slow, I ended up grabbing a 72 Bug speedo on ebay for about $45. The size of these–about 4 3/4 inches, is much closer to the original TD size than the ones our kits usually come with. Had to make my own bracket & also bought a new chrome trim ring & white faced gauge kit, but totally liking the look of the bigger gauge and the integrated fuel gauge, which frees up a spot elsewhere for the oil pressure gauge.

To make it look close to right you need a 5-inch Tach as well, but a worthy upgrade in my humble opinion.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

The Speedo in my CMC is marked the same as yours Allen. Its kind of odd at first, but you will get used to it in no time. Once a friend rode with me for the first time with the wind beating us up and he looked at the speedo and thought I was doing about 75. He had a we need to slow down look in his eyes. I laughed and told him not to worry it was kph.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

We never tire of questions. That’s probably the primary reason we’re all here!

Most gauges are manufactured with the assumption they are going into a sheet metal dash. Our wood dashes are much thicker, so you need to either trim or bend the brackets.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

You may not be aware that your speedo maybe in Kilometers but the inside dial is in MPH.  Thru me for a curve until I took a closer look.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Yeah it’ll take a little getting used to remembering to go by the inner numbers. But it’ll be fun either way. I’m still in the building stage but at times can’t wait to be driving her. PATIENCE I keep telling myself.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.