Spotters guide to MGTD kit cars

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Spotters guide to MGTD kit cars

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

What is the easiest/quickest way to tell which MG kit you are looking at?

One of my more interesting discoveries during my recent attendance at the Carlisle kit car show this year was the difference between engine access on the VW based kits.  Are these differences due to the kit or due to the original builder?  

My Daytona MiGi has a piano hinge across the top of the engine cover and the whole darn thing including the rear apron comes up after you loosen two spring loaded tie downs.  Very easy access to everything and you can pull the engine without removing any tin or fiberglass body parts or even the rear bumper (although I did on my recent rebuild).  If you have rear bumper overriders, then the rear bumper has to be mounted about 1 1/2″ further aft to allow the rear apron to clear them.  To me, this looks a bit odd.  The Daytona MiGi has the shorter front grill due to the body being mounted about 1 1/2″ further aft on the chassis than most, if not all, others.  This rearward mounting myakes two “bumps” in the running board necessary to cover the rear torsion tube ends.  These bumps are easily visible and are a quick “tell” for a Daytona MiGi.  
    Ed’s BCW TD engine cover has essentially a door with hinges on the right which reveal what I thought to be a rather cramped smaller access to the engine.  
    Wobby’s Allison Daytona had a top hinged access similar to Daytona MiGi but I don’t believe his apron came up with the cover?
    Schu’s Allison had pins that had to be removed and then you lifted the cover off.  
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Roy,

My car is a early Fiberfab – later CMC and then MIGI? Mine did have a Piano hinge, but I replaced it w/ the removable lid when I restored it – I think I got the idea from Bill Collins a few years ago.
    I thing I noticed from all the VW cars is that mine allowed dual carbs w/o a whole lot of mess, but the rest seem a lot smaller and cramped and not sure the dual carbs will fit – anyone else try?
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have dual carbs on my Classic Roadsters Duchess

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Roy et al,

check out this thread:

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Geez guys.  Sorry, I’m going back to bed.  Paul’s right, of course, this has already been done.  I’ve even contributed to the thread.  It ain’t fun gettin old. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s funny Roy! I didn’t even notice that you were a contributor!

It’s all good, I remembered the thread but it took quite a while to find it!

Paul Mossberg

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

FYI guys

and I might add the London Roadster has a chrome/ metal grill . It is not fiberglass.

My LR has a  custom built chassis with coil-over suspensions and four wheel disc brakes still using VW engines and transaxles..

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

All contributions are REALLY appreciated. But please don’t add them here.

Please add them to the Manufacturer Comparison thread.

Paul Mossberg

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I tried clicking the link and I get an error message.  I tried twice.

Error Error

There are no posts in the database relating to this topic

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

If you go to the Manufacturer’s Comparison topic on the main forum page that works. newkitman2013-04-28 22:07:22

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This should work:

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/manufacturer-comparison/

PMOSSBERG2013-04-28 22:10:48

Paul Mossberg

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

jebarry wrote:
     FYI guys

and I might add the London Roadster has a chrome/ metal grill . It is not fiberglass.

My LR has a  custom built chassis with coil-over suspensions and four wheel disc brakes still using VW engines and transaxles..

You have front coil-overs? Do you know what kind/length/rating? Is your ride harsh and stiff?
    I realize you don’t have a stock VW chassis but the weight and dimensions shouldn’t be that much different.
    mrlmd2013-04-29 09:25:34

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Yes

I do have front Coil-overs at a 45 degree angle and have been asking the same question in this forum with no results.

MY TDr is basicly original from the build in 1986 .It has a 1972  1776 dual port  . 

I took some  weight out of the front end..Actually I didnt the garage I took it to check out the front  fenders scrubbing when  hitting dips in the  roads took a weight off .

My TDr is a daily  driver around the town  ..and  by  comparison is probably  light in the  front end by autox standards and  Roy and Ed etc  would  shudder at its performance–but  i love it  with my girls.

BTW the grill is Fiberglass ..the shell is nickel plated  Smile

jebarry2013-04-29 21:47:46

Royal
    Participant

@royal

John, you might be surprised to find that I would be not at all surprised if yours rode better than mine.  😛  I have nothing to compare mine to since I have never driven anyone elses TDr, and there has never (to my knowledge, been a side to side comparison.  I truly have not the foggiest idea if any changes that I made made MiGi better (for autoX) or worse.  That will be one of the interesting results of the event in a couple of weeks.  I will say that my TD profile is a lot higher than yours.  Both front and rear.   But, I carry NO ballast at all.  And I have softened the  front end by removing 10 of the torsion leaves from an otherwise stock VW front end.  And I added coil over spring helpers to the rear which boosted my aft end about 2″.  For my around town driving and a bit of spirited driving in the country, it rides nicely.  I like it.  But, I really prefer your profile to mine. My tires are a bit bigger than yours and the wire wheels increase the stance about 3/4″ making it perilously close to hitting if I lowered her.  AutoX will tell.  

Do any of you Daytona VW MiGi owners have ballast in the front?  If so, how much and where is it placed?  

And, not to hijack this thread but, how did you get that picture?  B&W left and right with color in the center?  Whats up?
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy..and I wish my  TD rode a little higher and with 14″ wheels….and there is alot  to say  for the stock VW pan ..

mine is custom chassis ,coil over independent suspension and rack and pinion

iShe rides ok to me .. although I dont  go  over 50 mph

but  luckily  fo r me  my  car had never been  abused   just  neglected  in the past ..for sure not  now !!Smile

I would  still like to  compare our  cars ..I am  slowly  but  surely  working the   bugs out  . If you remember I mentioned the MG TD cutting out  but  after slowling down  she  was ok  ..well it  turned out to be the fuel pump(1986 original)

also I am posting in another topic the great car show in Pinehurst  NC this weekend..cars ranginging from Nascar legends and vintage  rides from the 20’s and 30’s ..I am psched to check them out.Also on a light mote I find it  amusing to have Nascars and musle cars in a Concours car show   hahahaTongue 

jebarry2013-04-30 09:51:54

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Just to add to John’s statement, my Fiberfab kit the Grille Assembly is made up of a number of parts; the two largest of which are the fiberglass insert that fits inside the chrome grille shell. And it’s all held in place by three screws on each of the side cowls. Hope that helps some with the Fiberfab kits.

Roy. I did like you did with my front beam. I removed all of the narrow leaves in each of the front beam tubes and I have no ballast. I don’t think I need any.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen, Mine seems to ride great.  But that does not mean that it couldn’t be better.  I am anxious to see how she handles in the AutoX slaloming around the cones.  With no ballast, the front may skid and she may have severe understeer.  I do have new tires, so we’ll see if the front loses grip too quickly.   Stay tuned.  Maybe I should bring a bag of sand with me to Carlisle?   Always wondered where the term “sandbagger” came from.  Big smile

John says that he usually stays below 50.  I usually do also, but I also have her over 60 every time that I go out.  Never above 70.  
    John, you didn’t answer about the black and white and color picture.  ???
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy that is just a setting on my  HP Photoshop  for editing my  pictuires ..It was a CD that  came with my HP copier..Smile jebarry2013-04-30 10:10:08

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Hmmm!  Interesting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.