Steering Wheel Angle

Home Forums General Discussion Steering Wheel Angle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The steering wheel angle on my new MG TD Hot Rod seems to be a bit tilted.  It angles back at the top, and therefore more flat than any of my other cars.  It made tight turning a bit of a chore.

Any comments or recommendations?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Not sure what you’re saying. Post a photo?

My general advice is to put the biggest banjo wheel on it you can fit. But I think everyone already knows that; it’s actually my answer to pretty much every problem.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Sorry if my first post was confusing.  The top of the steering wheel tilts towards the front of the car at a greater angle than my London Roadster, Honda S2000 or Honda Odyssey steering wheels do.  It feels more like it wants to be a bus steering wheel, flatter than I would like. It’s too dark for a photo tonight, but I’ll work on that tomorrow.

What is a banjo wheel?

MGLondonRoadste40824.9316203704

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The original TD steering wheel, with the spokes, is referred to as a “banjo” wheel:

PMOSSBERG40824.9607291667

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

I like the Brooklands windscreens behind the folding windshield.

Remember when they were for sale on the back cover of Road & Track?

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Speaking of screens, my new TD replica does not have the side

screens on the windscreen. Where might find those?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

“Wind Wings”– Moss has them– mucho $$. Maybe ebay? Someone here made a nice set out of some plexi, as I recall it….

To your steering wheel angle: Look how it’s put together. My best guess is the guy who built it put a short shaft from the dash through the firewall, very low, and then put a universal joint just the other side of it and ran a second shaft under the exhaust manifold outlet to whatever steering box you got. He was worried about making steering that fit along side that monster engine, not about your comfort in the twisties. If my guess is right, you’ll either have to relocate that U-joint and figure a better angle (not likely possible, let alone easy), cut the upper shaft, install another u-joint on it and give yourself the angle you want (hell, grab a tilt wheel assembly out of a junked car and get to work!), or maybe just go with a slightly smaller steering wheel of some sort–provided she turns easy enough in parking lot situation.

Post a pic–many–of the whole line from the steering wheel to the steering box. Bet someone here who knows what they’re doing will have better advice than mine.

Can’t let Mossberg’s “banjo” shot go unanswered.

Put new cap and wires and coil in today, and 2.5 quarts of Valvoline racing 20-50, and just drove around a bit. She’s ready for the Pumpkin Run next Saturday. Weather permitting, of course.

edsnova40825.7721990741

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.