The Joys of a 3D Printer

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits The Joys of a 3D Printer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Last weekend when replacing the distributor on my TDr I managed to misplace one of the spark plug wire holders that keep the plug wires from wiggling all over the place. There’s two of these, one on each side, and they clip onto the fan shroud.

Fortunately, I got a 3D printer a few years back and have managed to get reasonably proficient at making things with it. So, off to the races (or computer as the case may be). I used the clip I had not lost to design and print up a new one! The new one is with ABS plastic and should withstand up to around 220˚ before melting. I’m hoping my fan shroud does not get that hot in the near future.

If you’re truly interested, the part is downloadable (and printable) from thingiverse.com as VW Spart Plug Wire Holder.

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Cool!

Are you ready to take custom parts orders?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Kevin
    Participant

@kms1

God I love technology, and a buddy with a 3D printer! If only I had one, of either. While I admittedly haven’t shopped around for a 3D printer or the materials required to produce parts, I imagine the buy in is in the realm of the sum being far beyond the contents of it’s parts. For now anyway.

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

@pmossberg only if it’s a custom part that’s already designed. That was the difficult part. The printing itself was easy!

@kms1
    you can actually buy one for just around $250 these days that will print good enough quality for most things.

I’ve since designed and printed some “reducer” adapters so that my under-seat heater vents properly connect to the metal heater tubes. The tubes were 2-1/4″ and the vents were 1-1/2″. I don’t really use them but it always bugged me they didn’t fit correctly.

Buxton, Maine

Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

Man I read this awhile back and thought I’ve never seen one of these in all the yrs of running bugs n rails

Then I goto put plug wires on my mgtd kit and poof I broke one.

It appears like the new wires are fatter and won’t go back in the old clips.

How much would u charge me for a set of the ones u made? I think there’s 4 of them

zip is 85361 for shipping

bill

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Not sure how I missed seeing this for a few months! My printer is offline at the moment, though hopefully back operational soon. I’ll send you one for free. Private message me your address.

Give me a few weeks though, need to wrap up the semester (work at a college) before I’ll have free time.

Stephen

Also… what color? Black?

Buxton, Maine

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Just reading this Stephen. Very cool!

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.