The New Build Begins

Home Forums General Discussion The New Build Begins

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The rebuild of my VW based London Roadsters engine is about to begin.  The old block was line-boarded too much and was out of spec, which left the cam banging at one end, the engine left dirty from the previous GEX build and got trashed with use.

The new block has been bored out to 90, which will be just slightly less than the 92 size needed for an 1835.  New machined cylinder heads, new pistons, valves and rist pins.  New oil pumps and going to dual carbs. 

It should be a few more than the original 57 or so horse power of the stock 1600 cc.

It’s rainy today, and replacing the starter motor in my Odyssey took precedence today over work on the VW engine. That’s my daily driver to get to and from work.  Better to miss one day and get the problem resolved than to miss several days not knowing the problem.  The rain wasn’t overwhelming, but a minor inconvenience today.

Maybe this weekend I can observe the reassembly of my “new” engine.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good luck, Mark.

Take pics, will ya?

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

This will be an outside job and it’s raining still.  I hope the weather clears by the weekend.  Yes, I want to get pictures.  The engine is completely apart.  This will be a good learning experience for me.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The rocker arms are attached to the crank shaft and two gears were pressed on.  I took photos with my camera, but they are too big size wise to load here.  I need to learn how to re-size them so I can post them.

Rain last night and today stalled any further work.

MGLondonRoadste40895.8451967593

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The Update:
     The block is bolted and torqued with the cam shaft and lifters in place.  Today the lifter seats had to be cut down because the cam was hitting the lifters and that would have been a short life if not corrected.

No photos of this procedure, as it was done while I was at work and too dark to see without flashlights tonight when I got home.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Last night I saw the cylinders (“jug”) added, but again it was too dark for photos.  I will take some pictures on Saturday morning.  It’s beginning to look like a completed engine.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

My mechanic went to look at the dog house cooling fan housing that he had found, but it was not in good shape, so he refused to buy it for me.

The quest continues.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I got my VW engine cooling tin from Mofoco. Excellent quality. Other suppliers, if you want new, are CIP1 and Mid America Motorworks. And of course there’s always eBay and the classifieds in http://www.thesamba.com

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The engine is back in the machine shop this past week.  The mechanic putting it together said he was not happy with some “sleeves” and took it back for reworking. The shop agreed to do the work at no additional cost.

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

Mark sounds like you well into your rebuild.

When I purcahsed my TD I had know idea about mechanics at all.  Worked my whole life at a desk for a bank.  Always want to try and work on cars but until I retired did not have the time. 

Since I got my TD in July I have rebuilt my carb. which works great suprisingly,first time.  Then purchased an extra engine, trans and motor stand from a guy for $300 and took the engine  apart, now working on rebuilding it.  I am lucky because I now belong to a VW club and one of the men has a complete machine shop in his garage and has rebuilt countless engines. So when I took it to him to machine he not so fast I’d have to do it and he will look over my work as we go along.  So hopefully I will know a heck of alot more by the time I’m done which may take a year. I’ll post pic’s as I go along with info. 

Good luck with your rebuild!! 

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Here, I can upload some photos today.  The block is home, and the end result is that the pistons are now 90.45, not 92, so I won’t be getting the 1835 out of it, maybe closer to 1776.  Adding dual carbs should boost it a little more, so I’m aiming for about an 1800 or so output.

Rats, the license on my photo software has expired and I can not resize the photos.  They are too large to load here.  I’ll have to look for something else.

Chris
    Participant

@chc325

MGLondonRoadste,

You can use your email to resize pictures.  If you are using outlook its as simple as going to file and selecting to have the pics resized.  If you are using Hotmail or Yahoo they also have functions to reduce the size of a pic. 

Another way is to open the pic in paint and use the tools to resize by percentage.  The pics can then be saved either using another name or the same if you dont mind having the smaller pics. 

Yet another way is to open an excel file and insert your pic in a box then resize accordingly.  Right click on the pic choose cut, then go to file and select paste special.  Use the .jpg option.  It should then paste the pic.  Right click the pic again and copy, open paint and paste.  Then save. 

I use most of these (not so) short cuts when my computer decides to act up. 

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

CHC325 wrote:
    You can use your email to resize pictures.

Terrific tips, Chris. Thanks. And some very sharp photos in the gallery. A couple questions, though: Do you get any grief from the law for not having a front plate, or for having your DPS sticker and registration centered in your windshield instead of in the lower left corner?

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The block was put together over th weekend and the valves, pistions rist pins and heads were assembled.  I was away for this process, so no pictures got taken,  Just some peripherals, like the distributor, the oil pump, generator, etc. need to be hooked up and hopefully she’ll be running this weekend.

Chris
    Participant

@chc325

TexAg71,

I don’t get it out much but have not had anyone look too hard at the plates.  We have a lot of out-of-state traffic here due to the wind turbines so when they see the blue plate on the back they seem to look the other way.  The registration and inspection stickers in the center is perfectly legal in my opinion.  The inspection sticker says that is must be with in 6 inches of the registration sticker.  From what I can find the registration sticker just has to be on the windshield.  My brother is a local in Burkburnette and he also could not show me anywhere that it has to be in the lower left.  I have always been one to question what is “normal” or “common knowledge” mainly due to I am in a quality group for GE Wind.  I inspect and write procedures for our field services so I have to question everything to make sure the correct information is given to our field guys.  I like to dig up skeletons and find the root cause.  But anyways I don’t get much more than a wave or thumps up from anyone. 

Thumbs Up
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.