Valvoline VR1 banned in California

Home Forums General Discussion Valvoline VR1 banned in California

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I have been using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil for years in my older vehicles.  Primarily because of the zinc additive ZDDP and it’s presumed benefits in extending engine life. 

If you have also, you may find this thread from the MG Experience website interesting:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3222905#utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter 

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Roy, 

Interesting reading — in digging through the 4 pages of “stuff” it appears that post # 12 hit it on the head  — “Valvoline VR1 is still available and legal in California. Valvoline makes 4 “flavors” of VR1. The three obsolete ones are not available. The most popular and most used one…API SN/SM/SL is not obsolete and still available… “

I checked my spare oil and both my 20W-50 and 10W-30 VR1 list high levels of Zinc and API SN/SM/SL compliant labeling.

So at least for now, we old car owners, including the ones in CA,  seem to be covered — 

Happy Jack
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Apparently my cache of oil is older than yours – I ain’t got no SN.  

However, you should know that the electric “saw on a stick” that I recently borrowed from you, has the blade lubricated with Valvoline Racing CD oil that was specially formulated to meet all the requirements of single cylinder diesel engines (including turbocharged) in 1955.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I love this site!!!!  Always filled with logical, practical, fun-filled facts, factoids, and…stuff!! 

But now I’ll have to drain and refill my electric pole saw to purge it of that offensive inferior motor(a.k.a. chain) oil

– Happy Jack
        (even happier knowing that my VR1 API SN “racing oil” is not banned in North Carolina — ):D
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Simmer down you two!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What Ed said! Clown

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.