VW rear suspension alignment

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits VW rear suspension alignment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Is the camber 68 and later rear suspension adjustable ? A friend of mine had  a negative camber problem  that a local VW ”mechanic?” fixed by tying the car down to anchors in the shop floor and then bending some part of the suspension to get the wheels to stand in a vertical position. He would not allow the owner to watch the process,but the wheels were not leaning in at the top after he did this.Is this how it is supposed to be done or does negative camber indicate that something is worn? This sounded a little strange to me ,like a country short cut or maybe worse.On another thread a member was told he needed an alignment to correct negative camber. Hope to get some good info on this .

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

You’re right…that’s NOT how it’s done…GEEEZ!

It’s done by relocating the torsion arms on the splines of the torsion bars.

I suggest you get the VW Beetle “Red Book” by Robert Bentley publishers. It spells out the procedure. Check out this link.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/findMyCar.do?endyear=1970&a mp;a mp;make=volkswagen&model=beetle+%28air-cooled%29&beg inyear=1970&fuel=all&infocategory=all&media=all& amp; amp;language=all&thumbnail=true&action=getresults&am p;am p;pubsTrackerEmail=

Pink MG39864.6174652778

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Mark, Thanks for the reply and the information. The method I described just did not seem right to me.I will look into getting a copy of the red book. Thanks again, Larry Murphy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.