Getting her started

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Getting her started

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

For lack of a suitable carburetor, my “new” VW engine sits unfired.  The two carb set up we tried to put in just would not fit (maybe the body is on crooked?) so the set up and linkage sit in a Phoenix VW shop waiting for a trade out for a double-barrel Weber set up.  I’m getting tired of waiting.

Where can I find a double barrel Weber carb for my power hungry new engine?  Any ideas?
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

just  go  stock  ..we have the same  engine  on the LR

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I was really wanting to put dual carbs on my MiGi this winter.  I have a horizontal clearance problem due to the slightly narrower engine cover Daytona MIGI used.  After having talked to a lot of very knowledgeable people and am convinced that no one makes, or made a narrower manifold that would allow an engine with duals to be narrower than 31-1/2″ (and that is snug).  Being convinced that it just wouldn’t work, I purchased Bill Fisher’s 1970 book “How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines” and he has some pages on various single carb setups including Holley Bugspray, Zenith 32NDIX, Solex 40P11, Carter Deuce, and Webers.  He has graphs showing dyno tested output of various rigs.  Fisher likes the old Bugspray and I am in the midst of testing one out on my car right now.  I found 2 bugsprays, completed rebuilding one last night and am about to try to put and a new manifold in in tomorrow.  Most folks will probably tell you to mount a single progressive Weber, but 30 yrs ago I had a Porsche 911s with two 3-barrel Webers on it and still have nightmares about tuning and balancing 6 Weber throats.  (It was truly scary fast though.)  Don’t forget that different carbs require different manifolds.  Holley needs an isolated tube manifold, while Zenith needs a plenum type.  I recommend Fisher’s book.  It is an interesting read.  Stay tuned for how the new rig works on MiGi.  

Royal2013-01-19 06:48:48

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ll be interested to see how that 4 bbl works, Roy. And Mark… Don’t you have a 4 bbl carb already on your other TD replica?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, The Bug Spray is a 2 bbl not progressive.  If I don’t like it, I plan to try a Weber/Holley 2bbl progressive before I put my old stock Solex back on.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ah. 2 bbl. That sounds more reasonable.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I haven’t had either one one the road for over a year.  The VW engine rebuild has taken forever, but my being out of work or underpaid for so long didn’t allow me to renew the insurance, so I don’t want to take either one on the road.  If finances don’t turn around for me soon, I might have to sell one or both.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

The Holley/Weber 2-stage is a great carb for stock or only slightly modified VWs.  They run off a single barrel until you essentially floor it, so it give the low end and throttle response similar to a single barrel carb, yet give you the added flow for higher RPM and produce more HP.  They’re a VERY driveable carb for a VW engine. 

Adding too big a carb is THE single biggest mistake most VW air-cooled folks make…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.