Repro shift knob

Home Forums General Discussion Repro shift knob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Should I get an exact reproduction MG TD shift knob that has (right) reversed reverse gear from the actual (left) VW pattern for the London Roadster? I have VW drive gear.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Shift knobs are touch points. I advise that you get the exact one that will please you the most.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ditto what Ed said.

I had a wooden shifter knob with the correct pattern for a VW. But that was my choice.

reality is it was rarely oriented correctly. The entire shifter tends to turn in the socket that connects it to the shift rod in the tunnel.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

The knob in the car now is wood with the correct VW shift pattern. Mine twists, also. I have ordered the MG shift pAttern knob and will try it out. I’ll report back after s few shows locally. I’ll see if anyone notices.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

I bought a walnut shift knob with a metal top MG logo at Carlisle show years ago. The thread pitch and count did not match my VW shifter. Ended up drilling and cutting threads in the knob to match. Doesn’t show the shift pattern but it can confuse those trying to steal the car from finding reverse

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.