Intercourse

Home Forums General Discussion Intercourse

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

So I was in Intercourse earlier today and this older Amish guy in a motorized wheelchair (have never been able to figure out the Amish god’s restrictions) scooted across the street to ask me about the car.  We talked for about 10 minutes with him asking a bunch of questions, that’s the longest I’ve ever talked to the Amish other than conducting business.  Has to be one for the books.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hmm…Intercourse. I was thinking it was a strange name but in remembering my travels in Indiana, there is French Lick so not so strange I guess.

There are a lot of Amish in north central and northeast Ohio between Columbus and Cleveland. I think they live peaceful lives but never have understood that they can work in an establishment with electricity and air conditioning but can’t live in a home with both those things.  Here in middle Georgia there is a good size Mennonite community but not sure if there are any Amish. But the Amish and Mennonites are really great craftsmen. Wish I were as good at building things as they are.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by newkitman.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Pennsylvania has a lot of interesting place names, Intercourse, Mars, Jersey Shore (which is neither in Jersey nor at the shore), Bird In Hand, and the ever popular Blue Ball.   😀

I know the Amish can accept rides in cars yet don’t own them, however, whenever I ride the car in Amish country the young Amish boys always look and some of them even wave.  I was just surprised at the draw of these little cars to get the attention of an elder in the community to the point of crossing the street and engage in asking about the thing.  I guess that it never stops amazing me what a magnet these things can be.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice story Vicenç!

To the other point raised in this thread, let us not forget Blue Ball Pennsylvania. Originally settled by men who almost made it to Intercourse, but were stopped at the town line.  😯

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Blue Ball Pennsylvania. Originally settled by men who almost made it to Intercourse, but were stopped at the town line.

😆

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

😆 Good one Paul

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

A lot of weird names in Sw PA. You got Mars but right next door is Moon and close by is Freedom and Economy with Laboratory down the road.

Sorry I haven’t been that active recently. I got Annie out of storage (in Wampum) only to find that mice had eaten a couple of holes in the vinyl roof cover, the hand brake has broken and the under carraige needs to be welded. Oh the joys of owning but it keeps me busy. All projects are underway. I will then also re varnish the dash and replace the radio (speakers have rotted).

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area, give me a shout.

Ps: Anyone got a supplier of side curtains?

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@dggrant – you got @crash55 close to Pittsburgh.  He is working on his car as well so y’all should touch bases.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dan! Good to hear from you!

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thanks guys, yep, I know Bill here in Pittsburgh.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

As this thread is jumping around, I’d like to add that when Patti and myself travelled through Pittsburgh for the MINI takes the States event during the Vintage Grand Prix week we enjoyed a good dinner and car show with Bill and Audrey. Thanks, Bill.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I just happen to be the proud owner of a license plate cover with amish  heads on it that says Intercourse Pa.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.