Lifting Your Car to Work on it

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Lifting Your Car to Work on it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anay
    Participant

@anayb

Hi guys!

Looks like I might be installing a new throttle cable. Looking to lift the car up to work on it. Advice on how to do that? Should I get 4 car stands and a car jack? How do you all prefer to lift the car?

MG TD Kit car, 71 VW 1600CC engine, 52 frame

Thoughts?

Also, anyone install seat belts? Baffled on what to order!

Anay

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Jack stands under the front beam and the rear torsion bar housing. 

Anay
    Participant

@anayb

So 4 jack stands, and then the actual car jack to get it up?  Any recommendations on jack stands and the jack itself?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I was once young. If you want to get old someday, don’t skimp and buy an El cheapo floor jack. Plan on spending at least $100. You want one with a nice big saddle. ..and look for one that is at least 2-1/2 tons. Also, look for one that has a large lifting range (difference between fully down and fully up).
    Look at the Jacks at your local garage and try to get as close to that as you can afford.
    Treat it nicely and Do Not Overtighten it when raising – it’ll last you a lifetime.

Johnny L. Baxter
    Participant

@johnnyb

I have a Ford 2.3L with 4 sp. But, it really dos not matter what you are lifting as long as you use the correct equipment. I would recommend a floor jack with at least a 2 ton rating and jack stands with at least a 1 ton rating each. Your MGTDr should weight less than 2000 lbs even with me in the drivers seat. My personnel preferences are excede the minimum required capacity by at least twice. Mine is currently on 4000 lb stands and I use a 6 ton floor jack. There isn’t that much difference in cost. Walmart, Sears Lowes or any of the parts stores have them. JohnnyB 

Johnny L. Baxter
    Participant

@johnnyb

Roy types faster than me. I left out the don’t go cheap if you want to grow old. JohnnyB

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Just my two cents. I usually put the tires under the brakes just in case things shift and the car comes down, I’ve seen others put cinder blocks just to be extra safe. Maybe this sounds like paranoia but I also keep my cell phone within reach just in case I become trapped under Eliza Jane. And a full flask will also make the wait for the paramedics a little more pleasant.Thumbs Up

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Tires under is always a good practice. I do that too (or did) unless they’d be in the way of what I was working on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.