MGTD Kit car suspension

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits MGTD Kit car suspension MGTD Kit car suspension

KentT
Participant

@kentt

Mike,

I just reread your post. 
>> don???t start pulling leaves with the center grub screw out because the collar it goes into is not fixed in place. I had to wiggle it back and replace screw but it must be loose as well as the grub screw on the opposite side to pull leaves out. <<

Does it simply slide side to side, or is it free to turn in the torsion tube?  It’s supposed to be a cinched/pinched fit, I thought.

Just curious… because if that collar is free to turn in the tube, you could theoretically “disable” the spring effect of one whole stack of torsion bars by loosening the center grub screw and letting that collar turn freely inside the tube…

I’m not sure what else that would effect, but it theoretically would remove all spring tension — and make the stack of leaves function more like a sway bar than a torsion bar… resisting unequal force on one side or the other (i.e. twisting motion), but both sides could move freely up and down at the same time.

This link has cutaway pictures inside an old kingpin/linkpin frontend, and I don’t know if ball-joint beams are different — other than the number/type of leaves used…

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen inside a ball-joint beam…

KentT2014-01-14 21:42:12

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
Slowly coming back from the ashes...