1952 windshield

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits 1952 windshield

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

Hey guys
    Here is a photo of the on going project of making my kit look like the real thing,here I am installing a 1952 folding windshield, and have a stand up mirror on order. I also ordered a gas cap and am making a spout for the rear bonnet.I will post pictures as I move along with the project.
    Luck
    Bill

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Bill, Your windshield project is looking great. It is really going to make your car look much more authentic. Just curious, did you have to reshape the cowel ,removing the flat spots on each side where the brackets attach or was your cowel shaped as shown in the pictures? Please post more pictures when you get it done. Larry M.

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

Larry
    The cowl had a flat raised spot on each side and a 1/2 inch by 3X1 1/2 steel insert bonded in.After removing it I shaped the sides to fit with glass and also glassed the under side. I will use backing plates when I install the unit. My surprise was when the square was removed the wind shield fit to a tee. If I had not found the 52 windshield I was going to use one out of a hot rod book, they are very much alike and if you shop around you will be surprised as to what is out there.I will post more later.Good luck.
    Bill  

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Bill, Thanks for your reply. The degree of detail you are going to will make your car much better in the long run.Keep us up to date on your progress.      Larry M.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

WOW! Looks great. Do you have the rubber flap “seal” that goes along the bottom of the frame to the cowl?

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

The Tee seal can be found just about anywhere it is a common type seal used on t-bucket rods and elsewhere.Luck.
    Bill 

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hey Bill,

Very nice job! Can’t wait to see it finished.

Are you going to go with the top mounted wipers like the original?

Rich

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Beautiful work,

Like Rich I am curious where the wipers are going?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Who needs wipers when there’s Rain-X  

Serioulsy, post more pics of the project as you progress. It looks A-OK!

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

Hey Guys, yes about the wipers,look in speedway catalog. They have a motor that is close to the real one with a 90% sweep and short arms the rest I will build. My dash is out and I am building a center as on the real 52, but instead of brass I will use abalone,you can check with Alsa Corp on there FXsheeting, it is great stuff. The nice thing is with the net you can find anything. I will post photos as I move along. Luck, Bill

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Bill,

Geez, all you need is some 1930’s technology Lever Shocks, an underpowered 4 cylinder engine, a few brass name plates and oil leaks and you’ll have a REAL MG!

Keep up the good work!

Rich

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

Rich, I am working on that to!!

Bob Foard
    Participant

@bobfoard

Bill,  This windshield conversion looks great.  I have been considering doing the same for quite a while.  Is yours a fiberfab kit?  I was surprised to hear that there was some metal reinforcement in the existing fiberglass raised flat areas.  I have the 1952 MGTD brackets and have been looking for a windshield frame.  My measuring convinced me that the cowl width of the kit was the same as the original MGTD, if the flat raised areas were only not there.  You have verified my thinking.  I only wish I were as capable of the fiberglass work that you have done.  How do you plan to deal with the soft top connection to the upper windshield frame?  I think your new windshield is not as tall as the kit one was.  I presume you will need to modify the soft top mounting to allow for the lower profile.  Please keep us posted as you proceed.

BobF

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

Bob
    Sorry for the delay on the answer,yes it is a fiberfab kit. I have ordered a Haartz MG top tan to install with the windshield. The old Bimini boat
    frame is coming off and I am making a folding frame as on the 1952. I
    have found some great pictures of the frame and it looks fairly easy to
    reproduce as it is made from flat  3/4 inch  steel stock, and so are the curtain frames. I will post when finished. I want to add tank straps to the rear tank and lose the hinges and  locks on the hood.The body on the fiberfab kits  are very close  in measurements to the real car.Good luck.
    Bill

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

As a  beginner ;I need some serious help.

Where can I buy the windshield that folds forward as I see on several MG kit cars?  Ihave one that is straight.  Any ideas?

bill lauro
    Participant

@deerebill

If you can not find a original frame some were then you might check with the Speedway catalog, some of the American roadsters and hot rods had fold down frames.They also sell the hardware with it. Plan on spending a few bucks and a lot of modifying ( but it is worth it ) Bill 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.