1972 VW Muffler Replacement

Home Forums General Discussion 1972 VW Muffler Replacement

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Greetings to ya ll. I am in the process of doing a “Body Off” restoration of my MGTD Classic Roadsters kit, that I originally built in 1985, on a 1972 VW chassis. My current muffler is the supposed quite VW 2 big muffler design. I want to replace it with one that hides under the rear bumper a little more then the current one. I do need to find something that is not to loud, as my hearing is rather sensitive at the ripe old age of 62. Any suggestions??

Funny ……….. it took me 3 months to originally build “Herbie”, and now it is taking 3 years to do the restoration.Cry

Dave

Lakeland

Florida

PS: Paul I have been a member for a while, and I am all ready listed in the Register. Pls let me know when this web site hosting fee is up, as I would like to contribute to this excellent group

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Dave,

Do a search for mufflers. There was a long thread on this. The popular consensus is to go with the EMPI 3487 exhaust as it most colsely resembles the original TD style.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Dave!

Yup…for a “while”, actually since 
    17 March 2009 at 9:44pm!

Thanks for the offer re the hosting fee. Actually I think we may be covered for next year, and possibly the year after. we renew October 1. There will be a separate thread re funding if we need it.

A three month build? I’m impressed. It took me nine months to roll my VW based Classic Roadsters Duchess out of the garage…in 1982!

I second Allen’s nomination of the EMPI 3487. It is a single outlet “Monza” type exhaust. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Hi Dave,
    I have had the 3487 on my car for about a month and it gets a thumbs up hereThumbs Up. It has a low mellow tone, tucks underneath nicely and exits the car in the correct TD position.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

3487 owner here. Nice and mellow, and very discrete. I got asked yesterday whether my car has a Pinto or a Chevette engine. It’s a VW.

Only caveat: if you’re building a powerhouse engine you’ll do better with a header and some kind of hide-away system like, maybe, the A-1 Sidewinder. Cost 10x as much as the 3487 but the Speedster guys–most of whom are running 100hp and up–swear by it.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I too am a 3487 owner.  Just in case you are interested, this muffler can also be bought powder coated.  (I think it was from CIP1.)  But here is something that I had not heard discussed.  I put the 3487 on and started her up.  Sounded and looked nice.  But, on a Daytona MiGi at least, there is almost no clearance between the #2 & 4 pipes and Daytona’s smaller gas tank/engine cover.  I did not notice this until a small scorch appeared on the outside.  I wrapped the pipe with some header tape and it seems that all is well.  This may not be a problem with other kits since the “tank” is larger.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Thanks to ya ll for the advice on replacing “Herbie” muffler. Paul, I did my build in 3 months, because the guys at work were betting on the odds if I would ever finish my MGTD build. Yes it took long hours, late, late nights, but the Classic Roadsters manual, was quite detailed. The only challenge was the wiring, but I used “Colored Marker Pens” to trace the wires on the wiring schematic, and then it made all sense.

I will try to be a more active participant, as I am sure I will need various TD style parts. Moss Motors has been a great, but expensive resource. I do not know about MG Magic, since they relocated to California.

Thanks again

Dave

Lakeland, Fl

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

One thing I recommend is to get rid of the slip joint on the muffler and weld on some flanges so you can make a bolted connection.  Procedure described here: http://www.aircooledtech.com/exhaust_flange/
    I have a header system, so the flanges are welded to the header, but procedure will work just as well with a muffler.
    Al Greig:-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.