$8k kit is back on ebay

Home Forums Classifieds Running MGTD Kits Cars for Sale $8k kit is back on ebay

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

This car brought a bid of $8,000 a couple weeks back. Thought the owner hit the jackpot…or that the market was changing–and fast. But now it’s re-listed.

Hmmm?

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

This time it’s with   “no reserve” 

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Joel Pritchett
    Participant

@greentigger

Obviously that $8000 bid was his own trying to raise the

price. There was a Craiglist for this vehicle for $8995.

It was just relisted today for that price again.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/2280189130.html

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

IMHO eBay sucks for buying vehicles. There used to be good stuff up there sold by honest people.

However, I believe that since early in the 2000’s, it started to become a dumping ground for misrepresented vehicles…”to the best of my knowledge”, “as far as I know” and “I’m listing it for a friend” are the terms used to say “I just lied my ass off to get your money”.

Friends bid prices up on items with reserves being told to them by their seller buddy. In addition, eBay does nothing to police deadbeat bidders, they just get a new user name. I’ve sold several items that the winning bidder never bought. It was a PITA to relist the stuff for free.

I bought 3 vehicles from eBay and all the sellers were liars and cheats and misreprented the vehicles. Two were bought sight unseen and one in person. NEVER AGAIN   

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Oooh, 17 bids already. $4k+

Better get it whilst it’s hot.

I’m sure none of the bidders could be the seller or any of his colleagues at the dealership. That would be cheating, and cheating, as everyone knows, is unAmerican.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Pink you got that right ask me about my 1982 vette purchase. 

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

It’s a shame how a few crooked sellers screw things up, Ive bought and sold lots on ebay in the past.  Mostly small stuff, and haven’t sold anything for several years.  About the time they raised all the fees and forced you into taking credit cards I stopped selling there.   I never bought or sold a car though, guess I’m old school and want to kick the tires before the deal is final. 

Guys like this dealer should be baned, but I guess it’s hard to prove what they are doing. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I still check eBay for small stuff like parts, etc. But as far as complete vehicles I’m done.

My ’40 Ford was on eBay and didn’t sell. I contacted the seller and made an offer after the auction ended based on the description and some more questions. The car was a POS when I got it and almost NOTHING in the description was true. His reply, “I listed it for a friend…he wrote the description. I really don’t know anything about the car”. I am still building this car after completely disassembling the mechanicals of the car…drivetrain, suspension, brakes, rear, steering, wiring and replacing it all with new stuff. I started over with only the main body mounted to the frame. 

Almost the same with an eBay ’98 Chevy C-1500 P/U. The day after I bought the truck the fuel pump went, A week later the transmission went. The trans had been doctored up to last a few more miles before it failed. I discovered that when I inspected it after failure. I repaired this truck and sold it for a loss. I ended up buying it back from the woman that bought it and my son now drives it. Runs great now.

Last June I bought a “completely restored” ’84 Chevy C-10 pick-up for my son’s HS graduation present. Another horror story from a lying eBay seller. I lost even more on this one when I sold it a month later. I bought the ’98 Chevy C-1500 back with the $$. The new owner is aware of it’s faults because I pointed them out. He is fixing the truck up.

Pink MG40626.623587963

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Do the words ( buyer beware !!!).mean anything? Ok on that bad note I have to say that I try to look at what i’m bidding on so that i’m not kicking myself later. I have to say that the guy I got my kit from tried  to tell me everthing he new about it be for I bought it.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I buy the seller. Let him or her drive the car first, watch ’em, listen. I think I can tell when someone is taking it easy on a car they usually drive like a maniac.

This is hard to do on ebay.

Don’t like dealers, either. They make way more than me & I can’t afford to pay them that. This includes the salesmen. Few years back went to a local dealer with a  good rep to check out a Nissan pickup. The thing shifted balkey. I drove it twice, was leaving when the salesman said ‘let me drive and you watch.’ So I got in with him. He jammed it in every gear and tore around the block with it. ‘There, see? Shifts fine,’ he said. Then he’s like, ‘let’s talk to my boss about this.’ I go in their office and the assholes berate me for five minutes, like that’s gonna make me want their POS truck.

So, only previous owner cars. And a long interview with each one.

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

Several of the “bidders” are the same ones that were on it last time. Think it may be shill bidding. Who knows. Ebay is Ok to buy, but you have to see them before you pay. There are some unreputable sellers there. I used to do Ebay selling a lot several years, but they have lost the good reputation they used to have. There guarrantee of money back only works if the seller has the money in there account.

“Caveat emptor”

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

Wow, I did not know there was such a problem with e bay. 

I have listed my MGTD again — and I will not have any friends bidding — I did set a reserve that was lower than I hoped it would sell for — but who knows.   If anyone is interested — please come by and see it. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp ;item=300540018744&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESEL X%3AIT

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good luck Bill. That’s a really nice, brand new car.

Joel Pritchett
    Participant

@greentigger

Bill, I hope it sells for what you want. I actually saw

that come up right when you posted it on E-Bay. I read the

description then came back here because I thought I heard

that description before. I am looking for a Chevette kit,

but unfinished, sorry.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.