A 4 gallon minimum purchase?

Home Forums General Discussion A 4 gallon minimum purchase?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m not one to go batty about ethanol blended gas & think it’s gonna KILL ALL OUR ENGINES RIGHT NOW, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Here’s noted liberal Kevin Drum agreeing with Jim Sensenbrenner about a proposed EPA mandate that just kinda proves the main point of every (God bless ’em all) right-wing conspiracy theorist over at the SOC.

And here’s me agreeing with them both (though I don’t believe E-15 would literally set my lawnmower aflame). C’mon, ADM, Corn Refiners Assn’ & all you midwestern moochers: Enough already with the corn mash.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

At our local FASTRAC gas station , you can now get the 93 octane that has NO ethanol

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

braggart.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Wish all stations would have this, I treat all my gas with sta-bil , that has ethanol. One of the worse parts of ethanol is that it draws water to your gas tank and not good for the carburator.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Old Cars Weekly has published a good series of articles about ethanol.

Start with this one:

There are links within the article to prior Q&A columns that dealt with ethanol.

And check out the pictures in this column, from an owner who claims the corrosion was caused by E-10 fuel:

PMOSSBERG2012-09-21 10:52:00

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Good info Paul.. thxz

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

As i’m reading all of this i’m still confused are most of you using 10% ethanol gas or not using it. Are you adding additives or not .I was talking to a car guy who owns a plymouth roadrunner who never burns it ,but it limits where he goes he said ethanol burns hotter.What octane do you guys burn, ethanol and non ethanol .Should i put an additave in if so how often and what one do i use. I’ve replaced gas lines from filter to carb.Should i replace line from tank to filter . I had the old braded cloth type.Confused

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Yes I would love to hear what eveyone is burning also ..and also what burns hotter ..

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

We have a few stations around here that sell nonethenal gasoline. So Thats what I use in my TD.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

smitty thxz

yes we do also here on oak island 

what octane do you use?
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I use “pure gas” in my TD and in all my small engined yard equipment.  I like this site and it is 100% accurate in my “neck of the woods”.  http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
    Royal2012-09-22 21:46:17

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Roy. Great resource.

Apparently, the way the site is built, you can’t link to a specific state.

The home page is at: http://pure-gas.org/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

To think that once, in the early 80’s, I was considered a cumpeter guru?  Today I have no clue why or how these things work.  I guess you do have to start from the home page.  Thanks.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx guys.. good info

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

There is a station about a mile from me that sells only pure gas…87 or 98 octane. I knew about them because there are a lot of dune buggys that go there for their gas and I started going there with the Ghia. Most of the stations locally sell there gas with the note “may contain up to 10% ethanol.” On the corner about 1/4 mile there is a Shell station that has one pump only for E85 (corn squeezins). Haven’t noticed that pump being used in a couple of months. Wonder if the water separates from the corn after sitting in the tank for a while?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I checked that pure gas list. Nothing near me around Balto–looks like mostly Eastern Shore.

Still. I think y’all E-10 worriers are worrying a bit too much. We’re near a decade past the MTBE era now & yet to see huge problems with old air cooled engines–other than the normal grenading you always see when they punch Type 1’s out over 2.2 liters and run them at 6,000 RPM.

You’re running a 1915? A 1600 with two Solexes? And doing 4,000 miles a year?

Even with E-10, the motor will probably outlive you.

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

Yeh ED your probably right. I like to use pure gas because I get better mileage and it stores a little longer.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Roger that, Smitty. I’d run it too, if available.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, did you notice that you can add stations if you know of any near you?  What bothers me most about ethanol is what I have seen it do to rubber hoses (like the fuel line hoses).  I don’t think that i would put it in a fiberglass fuel tank either based upon experience.  In other words, my concern is not so much engine life as these other considerations but I’m not smart enough to know about engine life.  By me, it seems that the no-name brand X stations are more likely to carry pure gas.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My thinking is it won’t hurt metal lines and rubber hoses are OLD, so you’ve replaced them already with neoprene or whatever new fuel lines are made from.

Right? ‘Cause it costs like $10 and takes a half hour. Right?

And I don’t know from fiberglass fuel tanks. Is that even legal? But whatever your tank is made out of, I think there are several commercially available tank liner products that should seal them up and make them fuel worthy.

In the 50s, hot rodders were always and forever converting to pure alcohol to go faster. This ain’t rocket science.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

“My thinking is it won’t hurt metal lines and rubber hoses are OLD, so you’ve replaced them already with neoprene or whatever new fuel lines are made from.”

I have replaced my hoses, but I don’t know what the new hoses are made of.  I do know that they were some sort of braided fabric on the outside like the original VW hoses.  

Re Fiberglass fuel tanks, I don’t know if they are legal.  I do know that they were used on some boats but most/many/all have been replaced because the fuel attacked them.  
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

..I use pure gas at my nearest station and as Royal sez  at the no-name brand X station .They only have 93 Octane..while 7 miles away they have 87.. should I just be using 87?. thxz

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

It’s only in the last couple of years that the rubber industry has come to address the construction of their hoses as it relates to the ethanol problem. The first generation of Gates’ “barricade” hose had problems with deterioration of its own. They now seem to have the problem solved as far as the hoses falling apart with constant ethanol exposure. Unfortunately, a lot of garages turn up their noses at stocking another line of hose or a more expensive line of hose and they simply another piece of junk back on your car. Those of us who do their own work can put on what’s right. Those who pay to have their work done, watch out.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=12468&location_id=541

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

John, with a regular VW engine 87 octane should be just fine.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx  ed ..dumb question other than my pocket book is the 93 ok?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.