Allison w/ Nissan 200SX power train?

Home Forums General Discussion Allison w/ Nissan 200SX power train?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Holy kringle. I remember that powerplant with a 5-speed in my uncle’s 200 SX circa 1984. Nice setup, and would do better yet in a glass TD, and looked like it could be made much stronger too. Anyone seen/have one of these?

Not sure the use of the brochure now. Pretty interesting historical document though.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, I have never actually seen an Allison but there was one on e-BAY a year  ago with a Nissan engine and mechanicals. It was simular in color to Richard Wobby’s car. I think it was in the Virginia area.The ad showed a bunch of good pictures. See Larry’s [from Florida] posts , I think the man who produced these cars passed away before many were produced.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

I’ve got the brochure and have watched about 3 of these go for sale in the last 8 months. Las Vegas, Charlotte and one other. All seemed 2 rich for my blood. Speedies are too much as well. But I’ve started looking at another MG. But I have this picture in my head of a moss pick up????

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Just to add more thoughts. I’ve shown this pic to the boys at my race shop. No I don’t race but three of us started a race shop a few years back and we supply several local racers with help. They think its do-able.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There is one and it’s for sale–or maybe already sold. It was on ebay a couple months ago. Had a hotel advertisement magnetic sticker on the “bed,” and the seller claimed the bed was easily removable so the car could be returned to original if desired. I believe it was built in CA in the 1960s or ’70s and eventually–late ’80s maybe?–driven to the midwest. Chicago or thereabouts. Served as a grounds vehicle to ferry guests around a resort, hence the magnetic thingie. My recollection.

On the Nissan power–I was thinking it might be fun to put an early Z motor in one of these. Twin side-drafts & all. On second thought it seemed stupid though.

What seems more likely is to replace a Chevette motor with an ecotech 2.0, supercharged. But I’m sure that’s a project for one of y’all, not likely for me.

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

If someone wanted a hot rod, why not the 2.3L Ford. You could double the HP just by replacing it with a Turbo. Some of the articles talk about racers getting up to 750 HP out of one.

With regard to the PU: I don’t think it would be too much trouble. Replace the rear cover with a fiberglas bed or glassed plywood. If you wanted it like the picture, you’d have to cut down the back of the body. Would have to be a Chevette or Pinto based car.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.